Tandem dually trailer tire speed rating

Clubbs

Went to West VA last week and lost three tires on my goose. Just replaced all of them last year so they maybe had 3000 miles on them. Gross trailer weight was around 17k and probably had 3k on the pin.

Apparently some (not all) of my tires are speed rated at 75mph... Which is dumb. Maybe that works for some folks but my Cummins has things to do and can't be lolly gagging along at these girly man speeds.

Anyway, what are you go fast haulers running in G load tires these days cuz apparently I chose poorly last year...

+1 on underinflated tires
...although 75 mph is plenty fast enough (too fast really) to be hauling 100% of your vehicles tow rating....

(Hey someone had to say it - and since someone will challenge my 100%)
1658360109687.png

All of them where at max psi cold, not rubbing. In fairness only one let go. It's pair was swollen when I got home too and yes they are both the same size tire or atleast that's what the sidewall says and they looked the same when I set out on this trip.
IMG_20220720_180818864.jpg
I suppose it was so swollen that when I put the spare on the same hub it was apparently much smaller and they were fighting each other. This bald tire was brand new 300 miles ago
IMG_20220720_180736096.jpg

Max tow rating is merely a suggestion... Sounds good anyway. But really I set the cruise on 72 while on the hwy and pulling up the bigger hills I only could do about 65. Probably saw over 75 going down a couple of them. Then when the speed limit went to 65 that's what I set the cruise at, mostly so I could hold it together in the curves.

Either way I lost a tire last trip and again this trip, technically only blew one and then slowed down to 63 mph to limp 300 miles home. But realistically I now have to buy three new tires

I know that's what I thought, but I checked the spare before putting it on and checked all the rest before leaving - usual pre trip inspection sort of thing: lights, hub oil, tire pressure, chains, binders, hitch, etc... They may have been 2-5psi under max at most. The swollen one also has a sidewall bulge now so it's coming apart

Agreed. That was the only hub with different rubber. The other 6 are the same. Before one let go that hub had a matched set.

Anyway, I just put new tires on last year. Lost one so had one hub with two of the same tires that where different than the other 6. So now to buy tires again... Any recommendations on 12 ply or 14 ply G load tires? Obviously stay away from Chinese, but any one brand known to be outlast the others? Had bias on it originally and never lost a tire for 6 years, then went radial last year and caboom...

I don't know that it's a bias vs radial thing...I think it's probably more related to rubber quality and composition of newer tires vs old ones.

In a 16" tire, I've always like the Sailun S637. They also have the highest load capacity that I've seen for a 16" at 4400 lbs per tire single/dual is 3858. They're also good for 110 psi. Still listed at 75 mph, but I think most, if not all, trailer tires are listed at that.

If it wasn't such a wad of money, I'd say swap to 17.5s, but I know you and that's toooo much money.

Duals are picky, as you know. On big rigs they always replace them as a pair. Height difference will put all the load on the taller tire, overheat it, and usually cause another blowout.

Carlisle or bust always ran them on trailers never many problems as long as you keep the pressures correct. Cheap tires ain't cheap in the long haul.

Some go up to 87mph, not that any of us would tow that fast......

Duane

I promise I've never set the cruise on 86 mph running down the interstate while hauling a ¾ ton 'burb home from PA....

Different class of tire in my case, but speed rating is definitely something I wanted to make sure of. My drive tires are rated for 87mph:

My trailer tires are rated for speed range L (75mph):

I'm not sure if it matters a whole lot, but I think the max speed ratings are set assuming the tires are at maximum load capacity. Of course tire structure and composition matter as well, along with heat buildup from friction, etc.

Just a thought.

I also looked up the Double Coin RT500s on my trailer. Speed rating of J. 62 mph 😬😅

Anyone got a line on reasonably priced dually trailer wheels? Etrailer is $130 ish

That's probably close to, if not, the best price you're going to find...unfortunately. At least for new ones anyway.

Are they any different than dually truck rims? Bore size or offset or anything like that? Surely there's some old K30 dually somewhere you could score the rims off of.

That's a pretty good deal, best I've seen anyway

I too was impressed!

its the air temperature, that translate to high road temperature, worse when suns out.
take a thermo-meter reading thing, point it at the tread,
if need be, slow down.... :beer:

Bought from them in the past and it's the cheapest set of tires and wheels I've seen.

Wheels only

https://trailerpartsunlimited.com/1... if shipping was $150.... Back to the search

Almost ordered a pair, but shipping was $150... Back on the search

Almost ordered a pair, but shipping was $150... Back on the search

E-trailer may cost more, but maybe the shipping is cheaper/free over a certain amount? Don't you love online shopping for things?

Back