TBI 350 in YJ....gas smell from vent

justjeepin86

So, I've got a Tbi 350 and an electric fuel pump. It has the supply and return on the Tbi unit. The vent line off of my tank is just an open line up in the rear wheel well. I can hear gas gurgle on the vent line and it pretty much smells like gas all the time. I assume this is from the fuel returning to the tank and sending fumes out the vent. It no longer has the charcoal filter under the hood. Gas will also come out of the vent while wheeling on a steep incline.

What are my options here to fix this? Add a charcoal canister that vents back to the intake? Is there any vent of valve I can put on the vent hose that would help?

Call me a hack, but I tend to install conventional clear plastic paper element lawnmower fuel filters in my vent hoses. Keeps debris out, keep fumes to an acceptable level and also...cheap
These work also same way:

Vent line to brass fitting and static vacuum to plastic valve done.
Would this *almost* eliminate fumes in the garage?
I’m assuming the pressure vessel basically captures the fumes from the tank while the vehicle is off, then puts vacuum on it while it’s running?
I’m having a hard time figuring out why you wouldn’t just plumb it straight to the vacuum source in this scenario.

I’m also trying to figure out how to get my garage to stop smelling like gasoline

Would this *almost* eliminate fumes in the garage?
I’m assuming the pressure vessel basically captures the fumes from the tank while the vehicle is off, then puts vacuum on it while it’s running?
I’m having a hard time figuring out why you wouldn’t just plumb it straight to the vacuum source in this scenario.

I’m also trying to figure out how to get my garage to stop smelling like gasoline
The way I understand is the plastic valve is one way allowing vacuum to be created inside the canister but maintains vacuum once the vehicle is off continuing to draw the fumes into the charcoal canister. I believe there are 3 port designs that vent the gassed back into the intake to be reburnt with the fresh air coming into the engine.

Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in too as my understanding is very rudimentary.

Well, i threw a mower filter on it last week just to try the easy stuff. Still a heavy gas smell. I also still spilled gas out of it while wheeling a hill Friday. I actually thought the filter would keep that from happening, just by controlling the quick splash, but no dice.

Back