TDI first gen 4Runner, pickup

@Will Carter

Thanks! I have a couple engines already but I may be interested in yours too!

I do machine and fab work and, I keep a lot of junk on hand at all times! Is there anything you might trade on?

ED38F907-CF3F-45FB-A100-3485E16510E6.jpeg

First test fit!

Looks really close to the firewall, is there space to get around it if needed?

How does the front-back length compare to the 22r(e)?

Looks really close to the firewall, is there space to get around it if needed?

How does the front-back length compare to the 22r(e)?

I guess I should’ve taken a better pic. This setup has all kinds of room between the vacuum pump and firewall. In the pic, it looks to have interference between the pump and heater core. In reality, there’s a mile between them!

As for being able to get around the back of the engine, I can easily install the bellhousing bolts and tighten them from the top!

Comparing to the 22r, the TDI has much more clearance around the back and I’m guessing it’ll have several more inches between the engine and cooling fan. The TDI is a few inches shorter.

Interested in this swap, how much for adapter plate and engine mounts? Currently looking for truck or 4Runner. Can you make for 22r? I have a lead on 1 of those.

Call or text if easier for response 919-725-1907

Thanks

Interested in this swap, how much for adapter plate and engine mounts? Currently looking for truck or 4Runner. Can you make for 22r? I have a lead on 1 of those.

Thanks

@Ibayne

I’m thinking $800 without anodizing, $900 with anodizing. If you both want anodizing, I’d split the cost between you.
If you wanted to make your own engine mounts, I’d subtract $100. I could supply you with the brackets that bolt to engine side and you can make your mounts from them.

I haven’t looked into doing a 22r yet so I’d have to CMM the backside of an engine. Another option would be to source a v6 transmission (r150) and use it or use the v6 bellhousing on an r151.

I’m not having much luck with making the Tdi conversion fit into a stock height IFS pickup. It looks like you’ll need to drop the front diff at least 3”. A SAS Truck would be fine at nearly any height.

I’m not having much luck with making the Tdi conversion fit into a stock height IFS pickup. It looks like you’ll need to drop the front diff at least 3”. A SAS Truck would be fine at nearly any height.
that's unfortunate, but not surprising. With the way that front crossmember and pumpkin is designed there's just not a lot of vertical room.
What about realigning the mounts so it sits high and you add a hood scoop?
Gaining 3" on that diff is a challenge.

that's unfortunate, but not surprising. With the way that front crossmember and pumpkin is designed there's just not a lot of vertical room.
What about realigning the mounts so it sits high and you add a hood scoop?
Gaining 3" on that diff is a challenge.

For me, adding a hood scoop isn’t an option because I just don’t like the look. Adjusting the mounts would be no problem and would be very beneficial if you were going for a flat belly but, like you recommended, you’d have to have a scoop or body lift. Dropping the front diff 2” and modifying the oil pan is another option. I don’t plan on doing this either because I’ll probably just go SAS.

It’d slide right in with no further modifications if you have an IFS Truck with a lift that has at least a 3” drop in the front.

Thanks

We've made progress on a 22r kit. It's going slow but we've started designing engine mounts and the adapter. Are you still interested?

We've made progress on a 22r kit. It's going slow but we've started designing engine mounts and the adapter. Are you still interested?

I might be depending on cost. My 4runner is my daily and i think a little diesel engine would make my daily a little more fun

I'm trying to figure if this will work with the auto trans, which is what I have. If I recall correctly the auto have a different bell housing but there is an adapter where the flexplate would be so it unbolts from the engine the same.

I might be depending on cost. My 4runner is my daily and i think a little diesel engine would make my daily a little more fun

The cost would still be $800 without anodizing and $900 with anodizing. The billet blank alone cost nearly $200.

Just be aware, this swap will still require an extensive amount of fab work, time, and research. If your 4Runner is your only option for transportation, you might want to take all this into consideration.

I’m sure the diesel will be 10 times more desireable to drive that a 22r or 3.0.

I'm trying to figure if this will work with the auto trans, which is what I have. If I recall correctly the auto have a different bell housing but there is an adapter where the flexplate would be so it unbolts from the engine the same.

I don’t recall any adapter on the last auto I pulled. Of course, I don’t generally marvel over the auto, I replace it with a manual... Seems like I read the 4x4 auto behind the 3.0 is electronically controlled. I’m certain someone could make the VW PCM talk with the yota trans but, I’ll never know. I’m unsure what you’d have to do to mount a transfercase behind the 2wd version but i don’t think it’s controlled electronically.

All the Yota auto trannies of this vintage are sealed units with integrated transfer case, there is no way to mate a 2wd auto to a case.
Good point on the trans PCMs being linked to the engine ECU. my 4cyl has a PCM for the trans too, although I'm not sure how exactly it works, as I know the actual shifting is solenoid driven.
Clearly the better combo is 5 spd w/ the TDI but ya gotta work with what'ya got, and the auto is awefully convenient offroad. Hm mating to an AW4 would be a nice ticket to

All the Yota auto trannies of this vintage are sealed units with integrated transfer case, there is no way to mate a 2wd auto to a case.
Good point on the trans PCMs being linked to the engine ECU. my 4cyl has a PCM for the trans too, although I'm not sure how exactly it works, as I know the actual shifting is solenoid driven.
Clearly the better combo is 5 spd w/ the TDI but ya gotta work with what'ya got, and the auto is awefully convenient offroad. Hm mating to an AW4 would be a nice ticket to

Automatics definitely have advantages in most technical driving events, certainly off-roading. Just not my style!

What about using the 2wd internals? Valve body, solenoids, etc? I’m not very educated on the automatics so I’m just throwing out ideas. Maybe a better solution would be mating a GM auto to the VW engine and yota case to the GM trans.

Automatics definitely have advantages in most technical driving events, certainly off-roading. Just not my style!

What about using the 2wd internals? Valve body, solenoids, etc? I’m not very educated on the automatics so I’m just throwing out ideas. Maybe a better solution would be mating a GM auto to the VW engine and yota case to the GM trans.
Again I think if you want that family, than an AW4 is a better start. It's the same family of autos as the A340F /A340H but has a separate tcase so you can put a D300 or Atlas etc behind it... and I believe it is a relatively standalone TCU

Yes the aw4 can be made mostly standalone. Needs a couple signal from sensors (TPS, vss & nss, don't think any more than that) can also be controlled with switches or a manu-matic shift box, which can be designed and built fairly easily.(think paddle shift) or toggled between manual and Auto mode.

Rad Designs makes shifters for the AW4

Products

Back