Tell me about 24 valves

skyhighZJ

Thanks for your taxes
I have a 1997 12 valve 5spd 4x4 and I love it but it has had a rough life and is getting tired. The debate is do I take it off the road and rebuild/ buy a crate motor. Or, as I'm thinking cause being without a DD isn't really an option do I look for a newer cummins. I love the 5.9 and yes I don't mind the added maintenance that comes with owning a diesel. I stopped and looked at a '06 3500 4x4 4 door dually today and didn't get much info as far as bottom $$ but it has a new motor and all replaceable a have been taken care of to include new tires. I'm not too knowledgable on the "newer" cummins i.e. anything that's not a 12 valve.what should I look for? Years to stay away from. Auto or manual? I don't plan on hopping it up with a programmer. I don't "roll coal" or that gay shite either. Just looking for a good solid diesel platform that can tow my junk and serve as a solid highway machine. TIA.

I would be interested why it has a new motor, specifically.

03-04, some models had issues with injector tips cracking
04.5-05 - my personal favorite year range, different injectors, pre-egr/DPF
06-08 - upgraded front end, 6.7 with the 68rfe auto came out in 07/08 models

Love my 06, still 5.9 no egr or dpf.
The 2nd Gen 24 valves have a crap injection pump (vp44). I've owned 2 and you just have to keep the fuel pressure up and know it could just go out one day.

Personally if I had a truck I liked I would just rebuild it.

I'm going back today to look into it further. I'm also wondering about the motor. The truck only show 175,xxx on the clock. Another question is the transmission. If the motor got worked to the point of needing a rebuild. Aren't the auto trans known for being weak or was that just a 2nd gen thing?

I'm going back today to look into it further. I'm also wondering about the motor. The truck only show 175,xxx on the clock. Another question is the transmission. If the motor got worked to the point of needing a rebuild. Aren't the auto trans known for being weak or was that just a 2nd gen thing?

I'm pretty sure all the automatics behind the 5.9 are known to be weak.

The injection pumps on the 24v are the main problem. Most people recommend replacing the factory lift pump with a good aftermarket unit (FASS, etc). I have an 01 model. My lift pump took a dump around 170k miles. The fuel pressure gauge let me know it was going out. I replaced it with a FASS. The truck now has 236k on it. Never had any problems out of the motor, but it is 100% stock. Mine has the NV4500 tranny.

there is a slight difference... while the engine in the truck you are looking at has 24 valves, it would be considered a Common Rail. It has a different injection system than the 2nd gen 24 valves.

Sadly it came in a Dodge wrapper.

Everybody says that shit, but the Dodge has held up better than any of our Fords. That truck turns 13 years old this year, and it's hands down the best vehicle we've ever owned.

Everybody says that shit, but the Dodge has held up better than any of our Fords. That truck turns 13 years old this year, and it's hands down the best vehicle we've ever owned.
I have never been a Dodge person. Always been a Ford man. But I bought what I thought was the best truck I could buy at the time.
I say that but I've not had much trouble from my truck. A few wiring issues in the doors, wiper troubles, heater actuator, and rebuilt the front end although only one wheel bearing was out.
I did just put a new water pump on but that's regular stuff.
Yes I'd rather fix piddly stuff like this rather than a dang head blow off.
My truck has served me well.
But my truck has never had a tuner on it either.

there is a slight difference... while the engine in the truck you are looking at has 24 valves, it would be considered a Common Rail. It has a different injection system than the 2nd gen 24 valves.

So an 06 injection pump isn't going to necessarily be a big issue? I've heard of people doing P pump swaps on the 24 valve too. I guess if this truck is a decent price I may move on it cause it has a fresh motor and it is in clean overall shape but don't want to walk into a collection of known problems and also I'm not interested in a huge bank note for a new truck!!

So I stopped by the place again today to look at the truck again. Few more details: motor was replaced cause it dropped two injectors and the young kid (now fired) kept running it causing it to burn the Pistons up. It was a fleet truck but the company is local and reputable (not a backwoods dump so maintenance is regular and there are reciepts for it). There is also paperwork from the dealership that the transmission was replaced less than 10,000 miles ago due to a factory wiring fault that caused the converter to burn up. So all in all it is a 2006 quad cab Laramie, 4x4 dually, new motor, newer trans, in good clean shape with 175,000 on the clock. Asking 21,000. Yes or no.

Last edited:
So an 06 injection pump isn't going to necessarily be a big issue? I've heard of people doing P pump swaps on the 24 valve too. I guess if this truck is a decent price I may move on it cause it has a fresh motor and it is in clean overall shape but don't want to walk into a collection of known problems and also I'm not interested in a huge bank note for a new truck!!

06 is common rail with a cp3 pump which I've never heard anything bad about.

So I stopped by the place again today to look at the truck again. Few more details: motor was replaced cause it dropped two injectors and the young kid (now fired) kept running it causing it to burn the Pistons up. It was a fleet truck but the company is local and reputable (not a backwoods dump so maintenance is regular and there are recipes for it). There is also paperwork from the dealership that the transmission was replaced less than 10,000 miles ago due to a factory wiring fault that caused the converter to burn up. So all in all it is a 2006 quad cab Laramie, 4x4 dually, new motor, newer trans, in good clean shape with 175,000 on the clock. Asking 21,000. Yes or no.

Doesn't sound bad as long as the rest of the truck is in good shape.

It's not bad, it was a fleet truck some minor nicks and scrapes but overall it is clean. Has ranch hands front and rear and a b&w flip over in the bed already. I'm still shopping but this is local and is on the agenda if they will come off the price a bit. Talked to the bank and they appraised it at $20,500 as is but also not taking into account the motor or trans.

Back