temp registration/plates for NC?

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
My SIL is buying our old POS Saturn. We will in MD, she's in NC, she's coming up here to get it.
I've already turned in the MD plates.
My plan was to mail her the title, so she oculd get it turned in and get plates ahead and bring them with her, then drive it home legally.
However, w/ teh new inspection laws, on the website it says you must have inspection before plates. Doh! Can't do that b/c have to get it there first.
Is NC issuing temp tags or some way to drive the vehicle TO an inspection station forst? I can't find naything on that on the DMV website.
Here you can get 30 day tage for $20.

i just transfered a plate to new (to me) vehicle and no one asked for an inspection.

This was a BIG beef I had towards NC when I was trying to move here 16 years ago. Here's what I discovered:
In NC, you have to get one from a dealer is the only way if that's even a possibility to begin with. And car dealers are extremely hesitant to issue one due to liability issues if it isn't a car from their lot or if they don't know you. Try calling up a dealer you don't know and asking for one! It's impossible! Basically a temp. tag is non-existant in NC for personnal use unless as stated. The only drawback for NC about it though is that they are slack about temporarily driving a vehicle to get it to a destination without a tag. But that does nothing for traveling across state lines. The best way without adding another hour to my trip to get back to my home town was through VA which would LOVE to pop a driver with no tag so I was in a major bind.
I never figured out the system when I moved back to TN after my first stab down here and went backwards by going through TN DMV. The full story was that I let the NC tag expire due to the car was a second vehicle and wasn't running. Then after moving my crap back, I came down and fixed the car to drive it back when I found all this out. I had to go back home to get one and bring the temp tag down here to legally drive the car back. Major lesson on NC's backwards government.:fuck-you:
Tennessee you go to DMV and have a ligit reason with a title and you get a 30 day tag. Simple...

Good luck!
:beer:

David, is the title still a NC issued one? If so you may be OK. I just bought a XJ that had not been inspected for a couple years. I did the title and insurance and a couple days later I went and had it inspected. No problem. It might work for you and it might not.
You can give it a try

We went yesterday to get one titled and they told us no on a temp tag. We asked how we were to get the car to the inspection staion with no tags and they told we had to have it towed since the po didn't have a current inspection. This goes againist everything I've seen written and have been told. After an hour of going back and forth with the girls at the tag place, I had the thing towed and inspected.

Ask some of the dealers on here there may be a loohole you are missing.....

In SC for example though hardly anyone knows this it is perfectly legal to take a tag off another vehicle you own and stik it on a vehicle you are buying for up to 15 days. I can send anyone who wants it a copy of the dealers DMV manual where it states so, I keep a copy with me when in that situation.

I just purchased a 4runner in TN, I asked the DMV people here in Durham what I should do because I was buying it on a saturday and the DMV wouldn't be open. the lady I talked to said it would be ok to just sign the title over and then drive it home with the sellers plate (ship them back latter) or put your own plate on it. If you got pulled over showing the title signed that day and knowing there wasn't any other way would get you out of a ticket. thats what I was told at least. I agree with you though that there is nothing about this on their website and then they never pick up the phone:shaking:

just put tags back on my Suburban a few weeks back without having to get it inspected first

NC allows you to use a plate from the SAME class (car vs weighted etc) on a vehicle YOU purchased to drive it for (i think) 15 days. BUT you still need to put insurance on the vehicle. IMHO I'd put insurance on it, use a tag off her other car and not worry about it.

Insurance is the big one to have.

NC allows you to use a plate from the SAME class (car vs weighted etc) on a vehicle YOU purchased to drive it for (i think) 15 days. BUT you still need to put insurance on the vehicle. IMHO I'd put insurance on it, use a tag off her other car and not worry about it.

Insurance is the big one to have.

Yager, in NC that is called "Illegal Registration"! Ask me how I know? If you can find this in words I'll buy you a beer! Not without written consent from DMV anyways. I recieved a $250 fine and court costs plus the policeman said it was mandatory for him to confiscate the tag for slapping a tag on the back of an identical model truck to tow home. All this happened to begin with cause I was flat towing a parts truck back before I bought a trailer from Charlotte to Raleigh traveling down a highway at night in which I knew nothing about (49) and the power was out resulting in a blacked out redlight intersection. The policeman was directing traffic without reflectors and I almost ran over him. I was also charged with "Failure to yield" in which was a point on my record that I was able to drop for the lesser charge of I-R. DO NOT swap tags in NC. This works for SC as stated above and in TN as well but NOT in NC! :shaking:

Good luck on finding a loophole! I never could... But I did get the lady at DMV to admit that it was stupid! Made me feel a tad better anyways.:rolleyes:

Now reading over the circumstances again and fully understanding the post, SURELY thay would understand if you're just taking it to get inspected?
:beer:

I just got a tag in january on my beater truck. Went to the tag place with the title, told em I needed to transfer the title and get a tag. Walked out of there with a new tag and a registration that said next inspection due January 2010. The inspection on the truck was about 3 years out.

I think what is clear here is that there isn't any consistency. If you mail her the title, maybe she can get it transferred and get things handled before coming to get it.

If you mail her the title, maybe she can get it transferred and get things handled before coming to get it.

that's seems to be the best idea

Title is now MD.
I did not want to keep the MD plates and let her drive home on them b/c (1) ins. is pricy here and I knew it'd be sitting awhile collecting dust and more importantly (2) we love her but they (well mostly husband) are fairly shady and don't trust them to not get pulled over and/or have drugs or something... wanted no connection w/ the car after it leaves my house.
MD specifically has the 30-day temp tags for this purpose; you have to get a title first but the 30 day tag is so you can drive to an inspection station etc... inspectiosn are so anal here most cars get failed and take multiple tries anyway (e.g. my 'mazda failed b/c 1 strut has very small fluid leak!!).

Yager do you have any source for this 15 day rule of using another plate???
That def sounds like a "depends on how friendly the cops is feeling" kind of thing.

I just got a tag in january on my beater truck. Went to the tag place with the title, told em I needed to transfer the title and get a tag. Walked out of there with a new tag and a registration that said next inspection due January 2010. The inspection on the truck was about 3 years out.

I think what is clear here is that there isn't any consistency. If you mail her the title, maybe she can get it transferred and get things handled before coming to get it.

That is the plan, I'll mail her the title so she can be legal coming to get it it.

Was the old title also NC? i'm suspicious this is where somebody could get their panties in a wad, currently it is MD.

Old title was NC.

17. If the registration cannot be issued until it is inspected, and I can’t drive the vehicle to the inspection station, how do I legally get the car in compliance?
DMV may issue a three-day permit to a person that authorizes the person to drive an insured vehicle for the purpose of inspection and registration. You should contact your local License and Theft Bureau office for the permit. (License and Theft office addresses and phone numbers are available at www.ncdot.org/dmv.)

This is from the FAQ on the stickerless inspection page @ ncdmv
I'd call the tag office in Raleigh, and not deal with the 'contractors' that run a local ncdmv tag office. Afterall, any 'issues' and they have to clarification from the big boys in Raleigh anyway.

Back