TH350 problem

stockcar

i have a Cj with a 350 engine and a TH350 tranny , I started down the road in Drive and noticed the trans did not shift from the lower gear , I let off the gas a couple of times and then gave it gas but no change . I turned around ( I used Reverse to back back up ) and went back home , pulled into the driveway , put the tranny in reverse to back up and nothing , the jeep would not move . I put in back in Drive , same thing . I checked the fluid and its at the correct mark and it did not smell burned . Any ideas ? thanks

Have you done anything to the tranny recently(ie..rebuild,new filter,etc) or did this just start outta the blue????

Could be a few things but its pretty hard to diagnose over the internet.I had one that the "S" clip fell off of the detent rod and it got stuck in 1st gear.......
Give us more details and maybe we can get you pointed in the right direction....
has it been slipping,hard to go into gear,not shifting right automatically/manually.....

thanks for the reply . I do not have a long history with this jeep . I have only had the jeep a short time driving it only around the neighborhood but the PO was so pleased with the 350/ Th350 setup that he switched it from a 74 CJ5 to this 82 CJ7 . It was working fine the last time I drove it . . It may be time to get it towed to a shop . thanks again for your reply

Check the adjustment in your shifter linkage. I had the exact same setup in my old CJ and if the shifter cable adjustmen got off, I'd have the same problem. This could explain why it wouldn't shift out of a lower gear and why you couldn't get it in reverse. Check the adjustment first, it'd be the cheapest and easiest fix.

Make sure the modulator valve is getting engine vacuum to it. Unless of course you have a manual valve body in it.

Back