th350 ???

stone4x4

I have a toyota with a chevy 4.3v6 and a th350 tranny.It is geared 4.88 and has 37's.Today was the second trip on the truck.

i drove it 6-7miles to the trail stoped opened the gate then took off
noticed it smoking stoped saw it was blowing tranny fluid every where
got under it saw it had cracked at the tail housing

My question is do th350 trannys normaly bust like this or is it just my good luck.
One of my buds has broken two but we think it was from hitting the tranny on rocks. My rig has a full skid plate.

Thanks for the help,Stone

Stone, I have several friends using them and never a problem like that at all. I don't think it's a "normal" problem. One of my friends is running 400sbc, 350, 205 and one tons with 44's. The other 350sbc, 350, 205, one tons and 38.5's.

the mount is a factory toyota v6 tcase mount it is mounted on a 1/2" steel plate
toyota mounts are not very ridged
one of the first things we did after the build was put it under load(using the rear linelock) the motor ant tranny/tcase combo moved bout 3/4"
is that to much/to little?
thanks,Stone

So the whole trans/t-case is supported by the t-case mount only, correct?

The PO of my trans & t-case had the case crack when it was mounted like that.. Of course, he also had SAE bolts in a metric trans...

P.S. The problem might be that you mounted your transmission & t-case directly to the axle.. Or at least, that's the only reason I could see for posting this in the "Axles, suspension/tires" section.. :flipoff2:

Any evidence that it's not tight enough, and the tcase (or trans) came around and whacked the body or frame?

Buddy of mine broke two of them in the same spot. After that, we talked to some others and found out it is not that uncommon. I think he put valve springs under the mounting bolts so that when the engine rocked over, the tranny and TC could roll with it. Hasn't broken since and the last one broke almost three years ago. The truck has been beat on, rolled over, you name it since then too. I think some cases are stronger than others, but am not sure about that. TH400 is the ultimate cure, but it sounds like your case may have been on its last leg from prior abuse when you installed it. You might want to post this up on Pirate to hit a bigger audience and see what others have done.

DK

Back