Thanksgiving Meal Prep

Am I the only one that doesn’t/never has done a brine?

Good seasoning and a good roast or fry works really well.

Most turkeys from the store are pumped full of a brine solution, so it doesnt do much for tenderness, but it can impart some additional flavor notes in the meat. Also, not sure that it adds alot if you are cooking the bird quick. The bigger the bird, or the slower the cooking method, the more important it might be.

This video is decent at showing a little bit of the different methods:
Ain't it the truth! A couple WEEKS in the fridge and still have the thaw the gullet to get the giblets out!
This years birds (1 "Jenny-O" that's been in the big freezer since last years sales and another locally grown free ranger) have been in the fridge for a week now and showing zero signs of thawing...

Typically, I just inject (whatever concoction trips my fancy) and marinade (cheapo Zesty Italian) for a week... followed by a 3minute/# dunk in the "hottub", but may brine one this year?
I have a similar experience with them not thawing very quick. We must have our fridges turned down farther than the "scientists".

Come to think about it, the bird is typically partially frozen when it goes in the brine for me as well. I am not planning to cook enough turkeys to get a test if the brine adds a different if still frozen. I do know that submerging the meat in water will help is thaw faster than just air.

On a similar note, since its how I like to smoke my birds, unless they are hitting the oil after; Spatchcocking a turkey can be enough of a challenge, but better up your hand strength to do one that is still partially frozen.

We start a week out taking the bird out of the fridge an putting it on the counter for 2-3 hours a day. Sometimes longer.

We start a week out taking the bird out of the fridge an putting it on the counter for 2-3 hours a day. Sometimes longer.

Our beer fridge will freeze water bottles on the top shelf if in there long enough, so I either turn up the temp or use kitchen fridge if there is room early.

We are having sous vide filet mignon for Turkey day.

For anyone else who doesn't want to search. It's a winner... I make a bunch and we eat it with poultry or meatloaf all the time.
Thanks for sharing your cranberry sauce recipe! My wife just made it and it is delicious!

Double duty this year for me.
The Thursday crew gets a smoked ham and turkey breast along with a whole bird from the infrared fryer.
Traditional sides.
The Friday crew gets a whole filet mignon, marinated of course.
Untraditional sides.

Both get the same dessert.
Scratch made turtle cheesecake.
With a chocolate ganache on top and homemade caramel drizzle.

That's wassup at my crib in Compton...
:beer:

Sour cream pie crust dough assembly time...

20211123_085017.jpg

Double batch for a pumpkin pie and an apple streusel pie.

I recalc'd my cranberry sauce recipe from the 12 oz. bags to the 32 oz. bags a couple of years ago. This time I'm making a double to can.

20211123_144414.jpg

So pretty!

20211123_162803.jpg

Cranberry on the left, cran-raspberry with [Morris Daye and the MF'in] thyme on the right.

Here's the recipe for the cran-raspberry... it comes from a recipe called Boozeberry Jelly. :lol:

12 oz bag cranberries
5-6 c raspberries
1/2 T honey
1 T bourbon
1/2 c granulated sugar
1/4 c orange juice
1/2 t thyme
1 T butter

Whew! It's been a long day of prep. I boiled and mashed 3# of potatoes, made a dozen deviled eggs, made the brine (and put the turkey in at 4pm), and the pies are in the oven.

Two, 9 lb. bone in turkey breasts are in a spiced cider brine & the Traeger is ready to go & roast them. The cider glaze for the turkey is made & in the fridge. The wife made a pumpkin chess pie & a praline sauce to drizzle on the pie. Pecan pie cookies are made. The mashed potatoes have been made as well as the corn bread for the sausage cornbread stuffing. All of the veggies have been prepped to make the broccoli salad tomorrow. A batch of @trailhugger ’s cranberry sauce is sitting in the fridge. Been a busy few days. Gonna settle down with an Eagle Rare & call it a night. Let the festivities begin at 7:30 tomorrow morning

Back