That type of trailer tie downs You use

I use four of these for each vehicle:

awww.northerntool.com_images_product_images_150092_lg.jpg

And four of these on the axles:

awww.northerntool.com_images_product_images_150096_lg.jpg

I cross the rear straps only. It works well. I have to use a couple of clevises on the wife's Escape though.

I have 8 large d-rings welded on my trailer.

I used to use 4 straps like Blue Ridge runner, but, I'm switching to 2 chains in the rear, and 2 straps up front... to the axles.

I will also try cinching the suspension/frame *SLIGHTLY* down to where it's pressing against a 4x4 or something, to control body roll... Might not care, either..we'll see.

But, no way would I cinch the suspension way down. It's hell on your springs, and VERY bad for your wheel bearings. (Spot loading)

I used to race cars in Michigan and what we found worked really good was to take a tie down (like the ones on the sides of the open semi trailers) and weld a 3" long 1/2 drive socket extension on it. Weld the bracket directly to the trailer (or bolt it down) directly in front of the left or right front wheel. Next cut a notch in the trailer deck straight down from the back side of the tire. When you pull your rig on the trailer you'll be able to lock the front end down with the tire strap by going over the tire and hooking underneath the frame. (It is good to have a piece of angle to stop the tire from hitting the tie down bracket and weld a second piece under the trailer so there is something to hook to). Once the strap is hooked you turn the wratchet feed with a 1/2" Wratchet to secure the front. In the back I would hook around the axle with chain and lock it with a chain binder and then wire the handle to the chain so it wouldn't pop open on the road.

It's not rocket science, it's fast and easy once it is all set up, and best of all the trailer does not take all of the shock over the bumps......

Back