The Nissan broke down today...any ideas?

Nissan11

I was driving down Guilford College Rd to my house from school this afternoon in the rain and my truck just died driving down the road. I lost power brakes and power steering but everyhting else worked fine. I managed to get it off the road and pulled the battery terminals off and cleaned them real good with a wire brush and put em back on. The truck started up and I drove it on home took about (10 minutes) and as soon as I pulled in the driveway the power steering went out and the motor was dead. I started it up again and it idled for about 30 seconds and cut off. Then I tried to start it again and to get it out of the driveway and it ran for about 5 seconds and when I hit the gas it died. Now it wont start at all. It sounds like it wants to start but its like its not getting fuel. The battery is fully charged and the windows will roll up and down normal speed, radio and lights work fine, etc. Now it is sitting at the end of my driveway. Anybody have any ideas? This sounds really weird to me. And yes, I put half a tank of gas in it last night at sheetz so its got gas. If I cant figure it out Im gona have to pay a rollback to come get it and take it to a garage so any help will be well appreciated! Oh and the truck is a 02 Frontier crew cab 4x4.

how many miles on it ?

sounds like the fuel pump crapped out

maybe you got water in the intake and the plugs want fire let it sit for a while and then try to start in with the gas pressed all the way.

Ive never had it checked for the recall problem. I have never changed the fuel filter either and I cant hear the fuel pump cut on but then again I never could. Im gona replace the fuel filter tomorrow.

The distributer if it has one may have gotten wet. One of my buddies had this problem let it dry out and it did fine. Just a idea. But if you dont have a distrib. then disregard my info.

2nd fuel filter, just went thru all this myself. Also the drying out is a good thought too. Was the engine wet? bad wires can loose so much power thru the sides when wet(even dry) that not enough to get fire to the plugs.

What do you mean 2nd fuel filter? I bought some "Heet" which says it removes water and also a new fuel filter so I wil try this stuff out tomorrow and see what happens. But the motor and all the wires near the plugs were dry as a bone when I popped the hood. And I was just wondering if anyone happen to know where exactly the fuel filter is on the frontier to save me a step? Thanks!

Scan tool showed a soft code for a knock sensor but nothing major. Its got spark, the injectors are firing but there is absolutely no fuel pressure. So Ive got it narrowed down to the fuel pump.

nissans have a problem where the knock sensor will always come up during a scan, whether its bad or not... but the knock sensor by itself will not cause the SES to come on...

Sounds like a Crank Position Sensor

The Crank Position Sensor on the Nissan OBD II system is a diags-only sensor, not required for driving.

The Nissan VG33 (V6) distributor is not known for having water issues, although the KA24 (I-4) engine is.

Fuel pumps are usually always intermittent in failure.

I thought the recall was for the sending units on the Xterras, because the body trapped crap up near the plug. I didn't think the Frontiers were affected, although if the plug cracked (which I've heard of) there could be problems there. I never did see a recall come through for my '01.

We just worked on an 02 Frontier this week with the same problem. Knock sensor is common but will not cause a CEL. Water and/or antifreeze gets under the intake and causes corrosion under the knock sensor and breaks the ground it needs. The intake gasket was the problem on this one and it had a 2inch mound of antifreeze corrosion mound around the sensor. As for the fuel problem, check the connector at the sender. It has to connectors one is a 2 wire for the fuel pump and the other is a 3 or 4 wire for the sender. The 2 wire is bad for breaking inside so the pump doesnt get power. Nissian has them for about $65.00 and even the parts guy said they replace ALOT of these. Hope this helps.

The Crank Position Sensor on the Nissan OBD II system is a diags-only sensor, not required for driving.
The Nissan VG33 (V6) distributor is not known for having water issues, although the KA24 (I-4) engine is.
Fuel pumps are usually always intermittent in failure.
I thought the recall was for the sending units on the Xterras, because the body trapped crap up near the plug. I didn't think the Frontiers were affected, although if the plug cracked (which I've heard of) there could be problems there. I never did see a recall come through for my '01.

It was on frontiers and xterras. I had mine replaced on my frontier and the nissan dealership told me it was for both.

Back