Thinking about building a tilt trailer

jeepinmatt

Not a very good
Anybody got any tips? I want to build it as cheaply as possible, but I want it to be the best. @marty79 @UncleWillie

Anybody got any tips? I want to build it as cheaply as possible, but I want it to be the best. @marty79 @UncleWillie
cool. I'm in the same boat. I have a customer who wants a 20ft car trailer but wants it to be a dump trailer as well..without weighing too much so I'm trying to figure one out too.

I have that old mobile home frame with axles welded straight to it. You remember? You saw it and said "Well good. If I blow out my two spares on the way home I know who to call." It has about 3 yards of dirt on it so should be plenty strong. I was going to use it for a killdozer project when it's time for the "big igloo" but a very credible news source, babylon bee, reported last week the constitution died from kung flu. Doesn't really matter because the constitution was unconstitutionally ratified according to the articles of confederation. I say good riddance.
As far as tilt goes, just use a single axle centered on the frame.

thumb_ima-firestarter-twisted-firestarter-made-on-maur-im-a-firestarter-50922176.png

I’m assuming that due to everybody being wrapped up in the coronavirus, that this post is 10 days late...but I still like it.

build it to fold down with the weight of a winch at the front. Mine uses a hydraulic absorber to limit bounce when it reaches its tipping point, would be nice if you could lock it up (loading diesel trucks can be tough), when the engine gets past the pivot, the deck can come up before the rear wheels are on.

All that being said, I love my tilt deck, with a wireless winch controller, I can load anything by myself.

Well since this thread took a turn for the serious...
I want to build a deckover single axle, dual wheel, 20k pound rated, 20ftx8.5ft, aluminum frame and drop sides, dump, with rollback style tilt, with a lift gate and spreader gate. But I only have $4k to spend and 2hrs to build it.

I want to build a deckover single axle, dual wheel, 20k pound rated, 20ftx8.5ft, aluminum frame and drop sides, dump, with rollback style tilt, with a lift gate and spreader gate. But I only have $4k to spend and 2hrs to build it.
I have a microwave...

Tilt trailer...

I've got some free plywood you can have...

I'm actually a fan of trusses. But my bet on a tilt should actually use a suspension design. Cables double as lift mechnism for ramp design. Triangulation off the axle with a verticle I beam support. One high crosser of a narrow beam doubles as a portable gantry for trail side motor repairs.

All jokes aside. We have a home built tilt trailer and it's great. Actually, we have 3 of various sizes. This is the only one with suspension, and it pulls pretty good. We mostly use them for hay, but do haul cars regularly with them. Ignore the soon to be be chicken coop.

20200411_144405.jpg

It's a lot cheaper to just find a hill.

7/16" osb weathered for 5 years would actually be closer to 3/4" so in theory it would be significantly stronger
You can't ignore the dirt layer, that shit adds serious beef.

upload_2020-4-11_23-0-44.png

Well, seriously, I'd go & look at a few at dealerships, or friends, to get some ideas. As for a HD tilt, a construction company just down the road from me, has an old 40K deck over tilt, that is the break over type, with shock asorbers & a lock down on it, if you'd care to examine it.

Back