Thorn Turds.

amcjeepman

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
I just got another CJ that came with some basically new 33" thorn birds. Is there any need to try to groove these so that they would be useful or should I just sell them ?
Has any one done any grooving on them that you have seen ?
Thanks,

i think lee grooved a set real heavily and said they were ok. they need a lot of tread removed to be a decent tire

My friend bought a Burb that came with a set of 35 ThornBirds. I keep telling him to groove them and put them on his Scout instead. The tread is real deep, and looks like you could make something nice out of them if grooved. But I agree - looks like a lot of material to be removed.

slice em, dice em, sipe em, put sugar frosting on them - they still suck

Attachments

• turd.jpg
    turd.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 558
The local guys down the road swear they are the best tire ever made. I've yet to see anything good go out of that shop. cept my waggy 44.. best thing that ever left that shop!

My idea was to remove more material than the pic Studnuts showed - like take off some entire lugs.

Sell that junk. Is it really worth the humiliation when someone asks you what tires you run to say "Thornturds"?

hackedxj said:
Thornbirds are slightly better than running bare rims.................but just by a little.
... and flex slightly better than solid liftruck tires!
Seriously though, ever heard of anyone slicing one? From what I've seen, the sidewalls are the toughest of all the TSL line... just everything else about them sucks! :D

Caver Dave said:
Seriously though, ever heard of anyone slicing one? From what I've seen, the sidewalls are the toughest of all the TSL line...

That's because no one that actually HAS those tires wheels anywhere hard enough to cut one down...

I'd cut/groove a lot of the lugs away until it had an xml/crawler-type pattern, sipe the dogshit out of them, and run around the neighborhood with really low pressure til the carcass softens up a bit. i think you could get a decent tire out of them if you want to put the time in.

^^^^
Exactly. It'd probably be more effort than it's worth. Just sell them to some poser and get a real tire. Because if you carve them up and still don't like them, then they're worthless.

Back