Thread Repair

wbcarver

To keep from completely hijacking another thread, thought I would start this one.

Maybe it is because I have a small machine shop, or just because these things just seem to come find me. But I do a lot of thread repairing.
So I though I knew a LITTLE something about it.
But a little knowlege is a dangerous thing.
So I always like to learn more.
So I can be more dangerous.
;)

In the other thread, Chip mentioned Timeserts.

I had never heard of them. I have always used HeliCoils.

So here was something new for me to investigate.
Plus there are a million tips and tricks out there.

So how about some people post their favorite thread repair tricks and products.

Might be of help to others.

While I was looking for info on the Timeserts.

I found a pretty decent article on thread repair. It is one a motorcycle site, but the info is pretty general.

So how about it folks. Post your best thread repair info here?

I've got a tap and die set, but it seems like I only get a thread problem on size bolt I don't have so I have sucessfully used a triangle file for bolt repair a number of times. It has be the best $2-3 tool in my box at times.

Timeserts are wonderful. I have seen them used on intakes, both Aluminum and cast. I have seen them used for exaust manifolds, well just about every type of hole needing it's original or larger thread. I have only seen one fail, and it was used way out of the ordinary. Actually the timesert didn't fail, the metal repair did.

In the case above the second time around, it was drilled for a 5/8 thread and a 5/8 bolt was inserted, cut, redrilled and so far so good.

A friend of mine had a crank pully hole that was stripped out. he filled it full of JB weld, and redilled and tapped it. First time, he got it off centered. QUestion, how do you get JB weld out, ANswer, after calling the company, you use 1700*(degrees(why is there not a little o for degrees on my keyboard?) and it will melt away. Second try it was centered, and has been running several years.

Heat, hammering, lube, wax, drilling, not so easy outs, have been used to save and or get out broke bolts.

I also have a snap-on thread repair kit. It has thread chasers in it and also thread files. It works wonderfully. better to use a thread chaser to clean out a thread than a tap. A tap cuts, and it's not what you want to do. But sometimes on some holes you still have to use a tap.

upnover said:
1700*(degrees(why is there not a little o for degrees on my keyboard?)

I've got a ° , why don't you? :flipoff2:

(ALT + 2 4 8 on the number pad)

Back