Time for new straps or chains

Discussion in 'Tow Rigs and Trailers' started by BigClay, Aug 21, 2018.

1. BigClay

BigClay Knower of useless ZJ things

So my ratchet straps and axle straps that I use to tie down my jeep to the trailer are getting old, and I don't want to risk a failure. I like having a clip on one end to attach the strap to the D rings on the trailer. I am thinking that I want to use a chain on the other end so I don't need axle straps, plus there are some sharp edges on some of the brackets on my axles that I have always been leery would cut one of those straps. I have thought about chains and binders, but in all honesty those chains get heavy after a long day of wheeling.

So what do you do to tie down your rig. Post up a pic and give me some ideas.

2. BigSouth

BigSouth Doesn't play well with others!

3. rockcity

rockcity everyday is a chance to get better

Mac’s with chain extensions and axle wraps. Mac’s has padding for the axle wraps to protect them.

I also added pad eyes on each axle to clip the tie downs on to. Makes life easy. Disnt do D rings on the axle so it wouldn’t bang around while riding.

tlucier likes this.
  4. shawn

shawn running dog lackey of the oppressor class Administrator

We have two sets of Macs straps, one with integrated axle straps, one with separate straps, both in the direct-connect style. I've been meaning to buy a couple pair of chain extensions for the rear axles, but running the straps around the rear control arms has worked fine.

5. BigClay

I actually hadn’t thought about doing D rings on the axles, that would make it much easier, half the time I spend most of my loading time trying to get the axle straps around the axle tubes and not interfering with brake lines or steering.

What do you mean by ‘pad eyes’?

6. rockcity

I wouldn’t use D rings. They will rattle and drive you crazy.

I have these. Ignore the Ballistic logo. Don’t use Ballistic for anything. Get Barnes or Ruff Stuff or anyone else to make something similar.

58B8C925-DA88-4F57-9F10-AFC4B746D0C3.jpeg

BigClay likes this.
  7. BigClay

Perfect!

8. rodney eppes

rodney eppes Well-Known Member

I'm using 2 chains with J hooks, on the rear, & 2 ratchet straps on the front. Thinking about your problems, I was looking for a ratchet strap, with a short chain, attached to 1 end. Have seen them at Northern, & maybe some Trucking places. Can't find them on Northern's site tonight. Picture is as close as I got, but chain is on wrong end. But you get my drift!
    [​IMG]

BigClay likes this.
  9. rodney eppes

/[​IMG][​IMG]
    TrucknTow.com
    7% Off All Products
    Expires in 10 days · Enter code at checkout
    Shop
    WELL, I Show the pic, until I post, then it "X"s. Edit Won't correct either, but hit their site. That's the ratchet with chain, I talked about.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  10. Jody Treadway

Jody Treadway Croc wearing fool Moderator

I use ratchets with chain ends and wrap them through my side stakes. Then the straps go up to the axle straps. Self locking and won't come loose. Available in tons of colors from www.ratchetstraps.com
    23130_full.jpg 22507_full.jpg 22497_full.jpg

Chris_Keziah likes this.
  11. DSM Turbos

DSM Turbos Well-Known Member

12. BigSouth

I’m curious... what’s wrong with Ballistic?

13. rockcity

Everything. Usually the issues with them are focused around customers paying and never getting products or very very long lead times on standard items and never getting refunds.

I shipped wrong parts back to them for a refund. Call after call after call with no refund pissed me off. I finally resorted to publicly calling them out on social media and tagging them in the posts before the did anything. It’s happened several times with me and tons of other people too. I think Pirate finally banned them and there are several nasty threads about ballistic on pirate as well.

Mac5005 likes this.
  14. VortecJeep

VortecJeep Powered by Uranium-235

I have Mac’s, chain on end of ratchet wraps around the stake pockets on the trailer, and axle straps for the other end.

15. BigSouth

Good to know. I’ve only dealt with them twice and had no issues, but I’ll remember this going forward.

16. NCJeeplover

NCJeeplover Well-Known Member

Ive often thought about cutting the end off of a strap and replacing it with a D ring and one of these.....

upload_2018-8-22_9-28-41.jpeg

Seems like it would make life easy when your tired and the rig is muddy....

BigClay, Tim C and jeepinmatt like this.
  17. jeepyjman

jeepyjman Well-Known Member

I used to use 2 of them in the rear and straps in the front. They worked great. Alot of rollback trucks use the same.

18. Tacoma747

Tacoma747 Well-Known Member

There was someone on here from down towards Sanford that has sold straps a couple times previously. He had some 2" straps that had chain on each end, new straps he was selling for around $15-20 each. I bought a bunch, I use them regularly and love them. Great for hooking in stake pockets and around axles.

19. rodney eppes

20. Tim C

Tim C Wizard

This is what I use but on chains at all 4 corners. The rears are cut to the right length to pull forward and load the trailer weight just right, the fronts are about 2 feet too long and I use the ratchet binders to pull down. It made loading up a 10 minute job tops Vs the straps I used to use.

Even though I set it up for my trail rig, the chains have worked fine for anything I've hauled so far. Everything from mustangs to 1/2 ton Chevy trucks.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

21. Jody Treadway

Jody Treadway Croc wearing fool Moderator

That's a good point. So I use the axle straps and run them through/around smooth(er) parts of the axle.
    Out back, I run them aound the axle tube and up front, through the axle C, under the axle shafts.

rodney eppes likes this.
  22. Caver Dave

Caver Dave Just holdin' it down here in BFV Moderator

I bought a set (4) of the "used once" straps with chain/hook at both ends (someone here) and axle straps (Hillsville fleamarket?)... night & day better than previous straps!

Not sure there's room in my tiny D30 C's to get the ends through, but definitely gonna try! Should save 5 minutes per side over threading the axle straps!

rodney eppes and Jody Treadway like this.