Tire Grooving.

ghost

I’ve always thought about grooving my rear tires. Theses are SX2’s. What is the common pattern? Take out center lug? I don’t have a Grover but I’m sure you all can tell me how to do it with something else that is faster.

16E46ED7-6C55-4A8B-AF14-54E54F1DD5C4.jpeg

Considering the existing narrow grooves in the main lugs, I would most likely do something like this:

1656600866443.png

I have one of these groovers with a couple different width heads and blades. It works pretty good.

I think it depends on what you are looking for from your tires? Do you want them to flex better, or are you looking for them to dig better?

Aetna or TN Cut seems to be popular these days with the hill shooters
iu

Depending on how much tread you want to remove, an Oscillating tool works really well. Having the tires out in the sun and hot will soften them up.

Wood router works amazing for widening grooves that are already there! Messy but super quick.
Remember these thornbirds? If you cut similar to this they're unbeatable in dirt/mud, flex really good and decent on rocks
FB_IMG_1579819357130.jpg

Wood router works amazing for widening grooves that are already there! Messy but super quick.
Remember these thornbirds? If you cut similar to this they're unbeatable in dirt/mud, flex really good and decent on rocks
View attachment 375876
It's still hard to believe you made that from a thornbird! Possibly your greatest accomplishment. 👍

It's still hard to believe you made that from a thornbird! Possibly your greatest accomplishment. 👍
Right! Those 35s took my xj places it didn't belong too!

Back