Tire size v Longevity question.

Darkbloodmon

This question has been in the back of my head the last few days.

Two tires identical in tread pattern but of different sizes. One is smaller, one is larger. Speed constant, vehicle weight proportional to load capabilities and normal operating range of both tires.

Everything else the same and constant. Will the larger tire last longer from less revolutions over its useful life than the smaller tire?

You would think so, but it also depends on if it's a metric tire vs floatation tire.

For example, I've seen several 315/70-17s last longer than 35x12.50-17s. Same tire manufacturer, tread patterns, and weight ratings. Same truck too.

How much is weight dispersion apart of the equation for longevity? Lets stick to metric tires, since floatation's are limited for road and hwy speed.

Is load support for operational weight a larger factor for specific applications over weight dispersion? For example ply count, and operational pressure for load versus tire dimensions.

Since we don't know if the rubber compound is the same, is it even possible to have a realistic discussion about this topic? But since you said everything else constant, the larger tire should last longer. Less rotations, less contact, and a larger area to disperse the load.

Since we don't know if the rubber compound is the same, is it even possible to have a realistic discussion about this topic? But since you said everything else constant, the larger tire should last longer. Less rotations, less contact, and a larger area to disperse the load.
I think so since, It's looking exclusively at the dimensions of the tire itself. It would make sense. Would material weight have any affect in respect to the dimensions?

Heat is also a factor in tire wear, Would a larger tire last longer because of its larger surface area to dissipate heat? Still keeping everything the same.

@jeepinmatt according to his example though, use the same tire by the same manufacturer to make it easier.

Say a Load E 37x12.50r17 and also Load E 33x12.50r17 in the same tread pattern (I believe a Kevlar Wrangler would be made in both of those sizes, Trail Grappler, etc…)

Definitely interesting to consider.

If everything minus the actual size of the tire is constant then yes a bigger tire should last longer...

I'm of the same opinion that the larger tire should last longer, everything else the same. It'd be really interesting to get some fleet data on this to see how it trends.

Thanks for the feed back and discussion.

Traction also plays a part if you do a lot of Stop/Starting especially with a diesel.
Aye, the question popped into my head when I was towing a car down to York SC out of Charlotte. Looking at Class 8 trucks, and thinking about what kind of mileage (life span) they get out of their tires since they primarily do HWY driving at a constant speed versus how many miles AAAs tow truck fleet get out of tires given we do more stop and start inner city and street driving. Knowing they get better mileage for the driving they do, I wondered if there was any reason a larger tire shouldn't get better mileage than a smaller one all other things unchanged.

If I ever get the chance I'd like to personally try running 19.5s for a spell. I'm pretty sure the Hino roll backs I drive have 19.5s but I'll bug our techs about the details of the tires and how long the trucks typically get on them.

I've seen several sets of 11R22.5 Michelin XDN2 drives with well over 500k miles on them. As with anything else, keeping them rotated is key.

19.5s will last a while too.

Highway driving has a lot to do with it. We have trucks at work that never leave the base. Specifically, one of the Dodge duallies. It had tires put on it at like 6000 miles because they never got heat cycled and the rubber never hardened like it's supposed to. Plus, it's a dually and they push through turns more than a single wheel. Really tears up some steer tires.

Back