Tires for my cherokee

hightime81

Hi All! After talking to DownDirty (nice guy, knowledgable), he gave me a great idea to check out Sams club for some 31" tires. So after looking online at them i have narrowed it down to 3 choices, any comments from you guys on these would be appreciated before i buy. My main goal is to have a decent AT tire, but in all reality my truck will see far more pavement than dirt... I also want to know if i can stick these 31" (or even 33") on my stock jeep rims (i believe the 15" 5 spoke dealys.) and suspension for a while before i get a 3" lift.

my 3 choices:
Good year - Workhorse extra grip 31x10.5R15 - $115
BFG - T/A KO 31x10.5R15 - $120
Dunlop - Radial mud rover 31x10.5xR15 - $100

Thanks for the input!
:beer:

I would go for the mud rovers. These are a decent tire for the money. You will probably need some type of lift for 31,s. Maybe an add a leaf and spring spacer for the front. They should fit stock wheels fine.

err they'll fit, i've seen it done, but they will rub when wheeling or hitting speedbumps. My personal experience is that the dunlops SUCK completely in every situation. On the road, in the dirt, especially if the dirt is even a hair wet. I'm not the biggest fan of BFG's either, they're overrated, but they are better than dunlops. The best A/T out there is the bridgestone dueller revo, but they are pricy.

31" will fit but you'll need to trim the fenders and the flares. I put 30x9.5" BFG ATs on my first XJ with a 2" BB and they rubbed. If you are going to get into offroading just get a MT tire and don't bother with the ATs. My $.02

Gary

Wife's XJ, 3" lift, 31x10.5, tires were fine until off roaded. Rubbed big time on the rear of the fenders. Cut front fenders out, and bent the pinch weld flat on the rear, no more issues.

Sears sells the Pirelli Scorpion A/T, a good all around tire. Last time I checked a 32x11.50 was less than $90.
Anything larger than a 30 is going to hit/rub. My $.02 is to get the 3" lift first.

I had 30x10.5x15 bfg ats w/ a bb the first go around. The bfg ats lasted a about 35000 miles and did'nt do to bad offroad. As far as rubbing goes I had 3.75 back spacing on after market rims so can't really help you there.I liked my bfg ats , good tire in rain and snow:)

Mud Rovers are not an AT. They are an MT. I have had 2 sets now and they have been very good. They wear well and I have been pleased with them off road and on road. They are a little noisy but that is to be expected.

Mike

Back