Title arrangements when selling for somebody

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
I have volunteered to help a buddy sell his car; he is leaving for Iraq very soon and won't be around to do it himself.
What's the best way to arrange the title ahead of time, since he obviously won't be available at sale time to sell it? He's leaving it w/ me along w/ the car.
O, and look for an ad in anotehr section very soon...

if it's a newer NC title, the notary must notarize the buyer and seller at the same time, The seller can't just sign and have it notarized leaving an open title like you could a few years back.

the easiest way i see is a power of Attorney that gives you specific power to sell the vehicle.

What's wrong with having the sellers sig notorized before he leaves and then having the buyers sig notorized when they buy? (Short of the, "That makes too much sense. We're the government. We don't have any." argument)

Just find a notry you know...

When dealing with th governemnt you often have to be just slick enough to get around their bullshit...

When I bought my Blazer the prev owner had it 3 years without ever getting a titl, jut title signed over. He never signed it. I did and pretended like it was sold from 2 owners ago to me...

Sure its not tchnically proper, but it may be the only way to not get screwed for doing ethical business.

yea the only way to do it legally is to have him give you power of attourney which is like a 6/7 page form thing that says you have the right to sell the vehicle for him. Then when you go to the bank or wherever to sell it to the person you bring the P.O.A papers you have with you and you will sign your name with P.O.A beside it and then for him then the other person signs it and it gets signed by the notary.

Only reason I know all this is cause my dad used to be a dealer and still "kinda" is

Provideing you have a good relationship with your bank, your buddy can sign in front of their notary and when sold, the buyer comes in, signs, stamped and leaves.

That or a dealer can do it for you as a "consignment" setup if you know one.

Or you can simply take the semilegal route if you know a notary. Have hime sign and hold the paper until sold, then the buyer signs and your done.

Chris_M said:
if it's a newer NC title, the notary must notarize the buyer and seller at the same time, The seller can't just sign and have it notarized leaving an open title like you could a few years back.

says who?

I bought a truck 3 months ago...and got a title in my name...

sold it a month ago...had my signature notarized and gave it to the buyer...

that's worked for two trucks and a trailer for me as buyer, and one truck as seller, in the last 3 months...all at a Charlotte DMV (which may be the most anal in the state)...

Greg

bigwaylon said:
says who?
Greg

Says the DMV...newer titles both the buyers and the sellers sig. have to be notoriazed at the same time. You can get a power of attonery or just find a notary you know.

A power of attonery would be the easiest way to go about it. The guy I bought my tow rig from was working in boston and living here, he filled out a power of attonery so his wife could come with me to have the title notorized. It was quick, easy, and legal.

Man, if I could find this "Youknow" guy, he must be a great notary!! :)

:lol:

Call the dmv and ask if there is a second form he can sign giving you temp ability to sell the car or anything.

You could file for a title in your name, then sell it, but it would cost $$$.

Now I know the title has multiple buyer/seller lines on it.
What he were to sign it as seller, I sign as buyer and get that notarised. Technicallyit belongs to me, but I never turn it in or anything. Then when the "Real" buyer comes along, can I then sign it as seller/new guy as buyer on the next line, and get notarised then also? I'd never actually get it titled to me as far as the DMV knows (new title), would they be fine w/ it going straight from the original line to the new guy?

RatLabGuy said:
Now I know the title has multiple buyer/seller lines on it.
What he were to sign it as seller, I sign as buyer and get that notarised. Technicallyit belongs to me, but I never turn it in or anything. Then when the "Real" buyer comes along, can I then sign it as seller/new guy as buyer on the next line, and get notarised then also? I'd never actually get it titled to me as far as the DMV knows (new title), would they be fine w/ it going straight from the original line to the new guy?

Then someone ios gonna want some tax money outta you for it. I'd circumvent with a notary~buddy deal.

kcarroll said:
POA "should" only cost ya $50-$75 and would be the easiest way to go.

I agree that a special power of attorney would be the best way to go. That covers you for any process needed to transfer ownership of the car.

Assuming the guy's in the military and not going to Iraq for vacation, he should be able to get the power of attorney done at the base legal office. They should draw it up for free.

Jeff

khokhonutt said:
I agree that a special power of attorney would be the best way to go. That covers you for any process needed to transfer ownership of the car.
Assuming the guy's in the military and not going to Iraq for vacation, he should be able to get the power of attorney done at the base legal office. They should draw it up for free.
Jeff

Thanks guys.
No, not for vacation. Lucky fellow had just finished acing his MCATs and getting into med school when he got "the word". For the 2nd round; his 1st came when he was just a few months shy of finishing a PhD.

We probably will go the POA route. He says he has some generic-style forms already, I'm sure he's been doing several of these for misc assets etc.

What is this about $50-75???

BIGWOODY said:
Says the DMV...newer titles both the buyers and the sellers sig. have to be notoriazed at the same time. You can get a power of attonery or just find a notary you know.

newer titles? or titles for newer rigs?

I sold the '92 F-250 I bought from Ken...I bought it in March and sold it in May, and got a title for it in my name before I sold it...

he (Ken) and I never signed it at the same time...and the guy I sold it to and myself met up on a Sunday and never were in front of a notary (I took it to him signed and notorized)...

no problems either time...

have the new one here for the Dodge I bought in May, Title Issued: 5/17/2006, and it's the same as all the others...

Greg

Easiest solution to problem....

Find a local independent dealer and fill out a POA in front of their notary, It's one page, no cost except for the notary fee's. Takes 5 min. Have it filled out for you to sign for your friend. When you sell the vehicle, go to the DMV with the purchaser and sign in front of their notary. They will verify your friend's signature with the POA done to you. Give a copy of the POA to the purchaser with the title. DONE.... POA has 2 carbon copies attached.

FULLY LEGIT NO WAY TO COME BACK ON YOU......

The independent dealer will have the POA's in stock, also the DMV will have them. It's completely different from the family POA's mentioned earlier.

Wife here:

We use the DMV MVR-6 form all the time at the credit union where I work, its the DMV POA form. When our member buys a car from someone who has a lien on it at another bank, we have the seller sign a POA so when the title comes in to us from the other place, the seller doesn't have to come back and sign for our person to get it registered in their name. Its very straightforward, you can pick it up at your local tag office. Have them explain where each person signs, because you will sign this POA form as well as the title. (example being where the seller signs the title, it will read "John Doe by 59Willys, POA" on the signature line, and then printed the exact same way below)

Hope that was straightforward enough.

heres the deal, i just did it a few weeks ago with my f600..

The DMV will NOT do an open title. BUT its not illegal. I just went to my bank, who also pointed out that if i lost/droped it, its a legal signed paper etc..

But as mentioned id do the power of atourny (poa) exaclty as 59willys says. x2

FYI...went to the DMV today to title a van I bought at auction...

got the new title in hand, and then asked the DMV lady: "Exactly what do I need to do to sell this vehicle to somebody else"...

Her reply:

"you need to sign the title and have it notorized...and you want to at least write the buyer's name here at the top (on the back)"...

so I clarified: "so, we don't both have to sign it and get it notorized?"

her answer: "nope...only have to notorize the seller's signature"...

this was at the Brookshire Blvd office in Charlotte...the only other office in NC besides the main office in Raleigh that will do an instant title...

Greg

Back