Title help

93redzj

So I’m in the process of purchasing a vehicle from this individual. He decided to go ahead and get the title filled out and notarized on his end but then decided he’d write my name in….now since it wasn’t my full name which is what I believe the DMV would have wanted to see, I told him that wouldn’t work….he then claimed to be at DMV and they wanted to know the name the title needed to be under for the submission of this MVR2 form and and they notarized it all without me being there or showing any form of ID…..is this legit? Just seems fishy to me. I was supposed to go pick this vehicle up tomorrow. I haven’t paid for it yet or anything

Attachments

• IMG_7256.jpeg
    IMG_7256.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7255.jpeg
    IMG_7255.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7258.jpeg
    IMG_7258.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 31
Meh... the whole point of the notary signature etc is to protect the seller - so that somebody else doesn't get the title paper and title it to themselves or a friend etc.
I have sold cars this way where I and the buyer could not be in the same place/time as the notary. Its juts him taking on the risk, not you, if you walk away or no show then he has to get a reprint clear title page.
Between now and tomorrow he's stuck holding this title w/ your name on it.
not a big deal IMO.

He’s not a dealer, I had an issue with a VA title where the person didn’t sign correctly and my local DMV just had us re-do the section below on the regular title.

I’ve also done the open title route many times myself where I sign my info and have it notarized then give to buyer. All they do from there is fill out their info and they are good.

So I’m not sure why his DMV issue a MVR2 dealer reassignment title form for this instance.

My concern is, are those documents going to be accepted in the event that I do purchase this vehicle and be able to get titled in my name?

Last edited:
He’s not a dealer, I had an issue with a VA title where the person didn’t sign correctly and my local DMV just had us re-do the section below on the regular title.

I’ve also done the open title route many times myself where I sign my info and have it notarized then give to buyer. All they do from there is fill out their info and they are good.

So I’m not sure why his DMV issue a MVR2 dealer reassignment title form for this instance.

My concern is, are those documents going to be accepted in the event that I do purchase this vehicle and be able to get titled in my name?
Easiest way to find out is have him meet you at license plate agency and when they give you the OK give him his money.

In NC the notary is only notarizing the sellers signature. So that is legal.

Technically an open title is not legal though, so that might be why they had him already write your name in.

No clue why they would give an MVR2 though.
Last time I tried to do an open title at my bank, they did refuse so that makes sense….however, I would find it odd if UPS told him to write my name in instead of just refusing to notarize without me there.

I really don’t mind that he tried to get it squared away to speed up process tomorrow. I’m only concerned that I’ll have issues getting it titled without having to go through process of seller reapplying for blank title to then re-do the process.

What was previously suggested of going to DMV together to ensure things go smooth might be best option though.

I think it just dawned on me what a few of you were trying to explain to me, as far as the seller info being notarized mainly for their protection. Do you guys think the fact that he just wrote my name regular on the buyer line would not have been an issue? I was just always under the impression everything had to be FULL name when it came to title work, on all the lines

They always told me at the DMV that the name had to match whatever you have on your license. But you could try it and see whether they complain

Last time I tried to do an open title at my bank, they did refuse so that makes sense….however, I would find it odd if UPS told him to write my name in instead of just refusing to notarize without me there.

I really don’t mind that he tried to get it squared away to speed up process tomorrow. I’m only concerned that I’ll have issues getting it titled without having to go through process of seller reapplying for blank title to then re-do the process.

What was previously suggested of going to DMV together to ensure things go smooth might be best option though.

I think he is pretty stupid to put your name on it, what if its a pile in person or you don't show up.

I have had titles with only my first and last name, but normally they do try to tell you to match the ID.

Half the notaries don't actually understand the actual rules of a title. I have had UPS stores try to charge me for two notary fees multiple times even though there is only one notary line they are signing. Tried to explain them that and they would just refuse the business if I didn't pay for two fees.

Half the notaries don't actually understand the actual rules of a title. .
the only thing a notary notarized is that you signed that piece of paper. They are isn’t no obligation or authority to opine on the accuracy of the blanks filled in.
Literally they are stamping that you signed here and nothing more

the only thing a notary notarized is that you signed that piece of paper. They are isn’t no obligation or authority to opine on the accuracy of the blanks filled in.
Literally they are stamping that you signed here and nothing more

When they don't know if they are notarizing two signatures or one, they should understand that at least.

When they don't know if they are notarizing two signatures or one, they should understand that at least.
They are only oaring the sellers signature. Not the buyers

They are only oaring the sellers signature. Not the buyers
This is the very definition of "you have 1 job."

I think he is pretty stupid to put your name on it, what if its a pile in person or you don't show up.
Exactly. I’m buying the vehicle knowing it has some small issues which I intend to fix then resale. However, if I get there and notice there are more issues than what have been disclosed, and it’s going to be more investment overall than what I’m willing to do, then I’m not buying it.

Just write your middle name in above it somewhere and it's all good. Just make sure your complete name is on it and correct and make sure it's in the right order.

I've bought and sold enough now in NC to be a dealer. But that doesn't go any further than here and the fence post. ;-)

I know, just speaking on my example of several UPS stores that think they are notarizing two signatures.
FWIW - NC limits the total fee a notary can charge, ($10)also.
Some states outlaw any notary charging a fee, and some allow a charge per signature.

I second this.
Had a similar issue when I bought my 2500.
Only the seller needs to be present to notarize the title.
Agreed. My only issue was the fact he wrote my name in after the fact. Had he left it an “open title” notarized as him the seller all would have been golden. I would have just filled in my info beforehand and taken to DMV….however, he wrote my name “Chris Linker” after the fact and I’ve had issues with DMV not accepting anything other than Full name, first, middle, last on a title. That was my concern. But it all worked out, picked vehicle up yesterday

Back