Titled vehicle required at URE?

ManglerYJ

Hey, I was thinking about selling my built YJ (90 YJ SOA with 305 TPI motor, SM465, Dana 20, Scout 44's with a locker in the rear and 36" SX's) and building something smaller for URE. Honestly, the last 5 times I've gone to URE, it hasn't been much fun because there wasn't much challenge for how the YJ is built. If it were geared better, it would be challenged at Tellico, and a LOT more fun, but Tellico is too far for a quick trip.

What I'm considering is selling it and building a Zuk or a buggy based on Zuk parts. What I'm wondering is if I will have to have it inspected, titled and insured to run URE. I am planning on building it small and light so I can trailer it there.

I want to find out for sure before I sell the YJ, since I don't like "finding out the hard way". I am a stickler to rules, so if it's specifically against a rule that they enforce, I will not even try it. If it's not a problem, I may consider it. My wife has a "one toy rule", so I can't keep the YJ if I want to build this.

Exploderpilot said:
i dont think you have to have a title or tag on the trails but you cant use the forest service roads to connect trails with no tag and insurance.
u cant, i got a ticket for it in my buggy opening weekend

u can't what and got a ticket for what? have an unregistered vehicle? or riding on the road? ride on the gravel roads is a definite illegal. on the trails, i'm pretty sure just fine. 4 wheelers are on them... i was also stopped by FS for a search in my 4 runner one time, it had no tag and was unregistered... no problem.

stone said:
u cant, i got a ticket for it in my buggy opening weekend

Where you on the trail when you got the ticket or on the road between them? I think I have figured out a way to go to almost all of the trails I like at Uwharrie without going on a road at all.

How much was the ticket for? I'm just wondering if the ticket would be less than the bother of having a home built vehicle titled, inspected and plated.

when i did my zuke i purpously kept it legal. The only thing they were worried about was the sniff test and normal basic safty items. I had a converter and all the stock emissions components and all was good... The inspectors could have care less that the fenders were pined on, and the back was gone...

Seriously i drove it to snappy lube because i wanted it to be legit figuring if they passed it, it would be np...

But its little small things like ebrake and wipers that will bog people down with a build up.

Attachments

• 20030522-01y.jpg
    20030522-01y.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 450
sorry for the confusion i was on the dirt road. between campsites and trails. its 75 buck and a total loser.

Back