Tito's - Another 1st Gen 4Runner build

4LowandSlow

Figured since I got some down time I would introduce myself make a build thread to show the build of the new 4runner but also keep myself up with what I've done over the last year with it since I've bought it so I don't forget what I've done lol

I've been on here for quite some time now looking and watching different builds happen and figured it was about time for me to start a thread of my own. I've been wheeling ever since i can remember smacking the back of my head on the glass of my dads ext cab tacoma, to finally being old enough to build some of my own rigs. Let me just start off by saying, it was a lot more fun when it wasn't my pocket hurting after a eventful wheeling trip lol. On my second rig now which hopefully stays that way for awhile.

We'll fly back to June of 2020 when I bought my first 4runner, Bone stock 1988 22re 5spd runner that had been sitting in the front yard for 8 years. had a blown HG and the guy bought it to fix it up and drive it but that never happened. I had seen it as a drove by on my way home from work and stopped by to see if he would sell it, a bit of talking and negotiating the next day she was coming home with me. This is how it looked when i picked it up
1713010181820.png

She was dirty but had lots of potential! The plan was to clean it up and put a new motor in it and some 31's and make it a DD. Which did happen, But that didn't last long and i got the itch as apparently an 80 series isn't meant to be a crawler. Next thing i know i had a 85 frame in my possession. Put the axles i had built for for another rig under that frame and under the body it went, put dual cases in it as well.
1713010402881.png

This point was still the stock 22re, w56, duals, 5.29s and spartan lockers. RUF springs and 3" rears with 35's
1713010476288.png

Over the next year it some upgrades and some 37s, didn't realize how weak the stock shafts were till i put on the 37's, I was popping birfs left and right at idle in double low.
1713010541076.png

1713010557803.png

During the winter i took it off the road, I was running into some wiring and ecu issues, wanted to make it more road friendly but also better off the road, Built 22re up with a full rebuild. dual row timing chain, cam, bigger valves and ended up building my own standalone harness and putting a mircosquirt in it, Really got some life out of this thing, 4xinovations interior cage, fabbed up some sliders, RCVs, 4.7s in the rear case and did triple sticks. a started doing some body work to try and clean her up a bit, body had lots of bondo i found at this point and some rust in the quarters that i addressed. Needed to get it done by January for a bachelor party for one of my buddies down at AOP. While it was down i broke the 80 out of retirement and headed to harlan for the first time, Had a blast. I need to make another trip out there. came back and finished the 4runner day before i left for AOP and off we were. AOP was a blast, FIrst ride after the new changes. I should of been more proactive while i was back home so i wasn't tuning the night i got there before wheeling the next day, I feel bad for the people living down the entrance road cause i must of made 20 passes down that road lol. Thankfully nothing broke and was able to give it a good beatdown to test it out, really gained some confidence this trip with the RCVs and not breaking a birf every 5 minutes. We also had a snow storm come through while we were out there, that made things quite interesting. I had ordered some 39" Kanati Mud Hogs before the trip and some beadlocks but sadly they didn't come in before the trip to AOP.
IMG_0499.JPG

IMG_0606 (1).jpg

IMG_6193.jpg

IMG_6206.jpg

IMG_0705.jpg

Attachments

• 66380443152__84176E1D-6A4A-4A3E-9B39-D1571E919154.jpg
    66380443152__84176E1D-6A4A-4A3E-9B39-D1571E919154.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 66355456931__EA42C918-6843-419D-A6D6-8C5B2E474556.jpg
    66355456931__EA42C918-6843-419D-A6D6-8C5B2E474556.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 23
39s came in once i got back and mounted them on the beadlocks, During my first drive i got into in accident which involved a pretty violent rollover, Wasn't planning on testing out the cage that soon as i had just finished it 2 weeks prior, But thankfully it did its job.
IMG_5932.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

At this point i was bummed, After putting all the work that has gone into it at this point and for lifes karma to catch up and slap me with this i just parked it for a couple weeks and didn't touch it while i ulitmately decided what to do with it, I thought about a body swap to retain it as road worthy but ended up saying f it and going full trail rig, slapped a piece of lexan glass in it and kept trucking. Went to windrock and uwharrie quite a bit, rolled it some more, and the body really became a crushed tin can.
E32EF274-508D-4785-990F-C507D7CA6F3F.JPG

IMG-1974.jpg
IMG-1994.jpg

IMG-1973.jpg

IMG-1736.JPG

After multiple rollovers and no straight panels i slipped with a sawzall and off the body and some tube work was done.
IMG_2259.JPG
IMG_2276.jpg
IMG_2279.jpg

1713011326967.png

That was the last drive and trip the 4runner got, after years of abuse, love and memories it was time to retire it as it wasn't fitting for my needs as i would be enlisting into the army and it wasn't road worthy and time to build something else. Parted it out and kept what i wanted for the new rig and off to the scrap yard she went, sad day to DILLIGAF
1713012607535.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG-6956.jpg
    IMG-6956.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 27
My buddy posted up his 4runner forsale and next week it was back at the shop while i was off at AIT.
Introducing Tito's! Shes a 87' 4Runner, When i bought it already had a exo cage, 3rz swap with 1st gen tacoma dash, 3link front with an 80 axle, 4" springs in the rear with IFS rear axle, duals with stock gearing, She was a good platform to build off of.
312892083_588595669933295_4004444417801380117_n.jpg

he PO had started to bobb it but never got it done so that was one of the first things i needed to get knocked out to seal it up. but in my fashion first thing was to wheel it and see where it was truly at! After finishing AIT i was able to throw my wheels and tires on it and my duals in it so i would have a 4.7:1 in the rear case and took it to Uwharrie for a shakedown! It did pretty well but i figured some things out pretty quickly that needed to be addressed, Rear suspension had maybe 3" of travel, it was atrocious. i hated the spool in the rear, come to find out the diff was hurt anyways, And the rear needed to be sealed up and finished but that had already been planned. Wouldn't be offically my 4runner if i didnt add some body damage to it myself!
GEZR4383.JPG

IMG_4004.JPG

IMG_E4850.JPG

KJFS1132.JPG

WXXI5591.JPG

WZMI6740.JPG

So with the body being bobbed the frame was not, and it was not because the rear spring hangers were at the edge of the frame, which caused me to be unable to install the tail gate. with that and the suspension being trash and the rear axle hurt the solution was to do a 4 link! so goodbye axle and frame!
So as soon as i got home i started working away and cutting! Plan was to run a 80 rear axle to match the front and run a 4WU triangulated 4 link kit. I already had a 80 FF axle laying around so i sent that diff out to get built by ECGS, 5.29s, ARB, Solid spacer.
IMG_4021.JPG

70925499735__C9176040-B126-4A25-A5ED-D67B21858328.jpg

Got the rear axle stripped and cleaned up ready for brackets to be installed and get everything mocked up
IMG_4024.JPG

Parts and coil overs came in and got everything tacked in and under the truck and started to mock up everything for coilovers. I was able to get the suspension cycled and flexed out before i had to head out back to work. Big thanks to my Dad for continuing on with this while i was away for a couple months at selection and assessment. during my time gone we were able to plan out the coilovers and start executing it, that involved building a new section of the rear frame to accommodate for the coilovers running through the cab, had a buddy fab up some towers for me, and get that all mocked up and flexed out to our liking just in time for me to come home and finish welding everything up. This time i was able to finish welding the suspension up, rebuild the front and rear axle and get it flexed out on its own weight.
IMG_4085.JPG

BUOM6111.JPG

CGTN4678.JPG

EBDO9170.JPG

IMG_4084.JPG

IMG_4102.jpg

IMG_4085.JPG

BUOM6111.JPG

CGTN4678.JPG

EBDO9170.JPG

IMG_4084.JPG

IMG_4102.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

1713015187608.png

After a year or so of training and loads of other BS i figured out i was getting station in Savannah, So during Christmas break i came back up to finish her up and bring her home with me, Finished installed the fuel cell, buttoning up some finishing details, finish bobbing the top and sealing the body up and hit the road! this thing at this point drives phenomenal. Way more power over the 22re i had before, and it was like riding on a cloud having coilovers on all 4 corners. Made the 4 1/2 trip down to savannah cruising 70-75 and getting 17 mpg on the 39s,
IMG_4939 (1).JPG

IMG_5008 (1).JPG

For new years i took a trip up to my buddys place in SC but on the way up to him i stopped by gulches to do a shake down with the new setup, the amount of flex and stablitly that the rig has now is crazy compared to before and how my red 4runner was set up. I didn't get many pictures but it performed fantasic. I also folded the front fender up on the drivers side pretty good lol.
IMG_5030 (1).jpg

IMG_5020 (1).jpg

The following week me and my buddy took a trip up to windrock to get it a true shakedown, and in true Gurt fashion i put it on its side in the first 20 minutes being an idiot, but no damage really, ground was soft and the exo cage does wonders! Was able to do trail 16, 15, 4, panther rock, little school bus, and 200 ft of rattle rock, i broke two lockouts in 7 ft of each other and me being the only rig doing it i decided to save it for another day. But it performed fantastic and exceeded my expectations, it played recovery vehicle for my buddies jeep on trail 16, popped a bead and tore a tire so had to drive back to the trailer to grab his spare in the piss pouring rain up the muddy chutes on the begining of 16, she got a true beatdown there.
IMG_E5074.JPG

IMG_5089.jpg

IMG_5080.jpg

IMG_5079 (1).jpg

IMG_5083.jpg

Got back towards savannah and heard quite the bearing whinning noise from the transmission/transfer case, limped it back and pulled it apart the next weekend to figure out what was up, pulling the transmission in the barracks parking lot was not fun, but got it done, figured out the main bearing in the tranmission was going out and the needle bearing for the input shaft for the transfer case adapater was trashed. replaced those and put a new clutch in while i was there and back on the road she was.
IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_5390.jpg

IMG_5379.jpg

IMG_5380.jpg

Also while it was down and i was waiting on parts i took the time to tint the windows on the doors and the hard top to offer some privacy from people snooping around and keep some sun light out.
IMG_5353.jpg

IMG_5350.jpg

Currently out of the country for work and wont be able to do anything till i get back. plan is for when i get back is to finish up the tube work in the rear, change out the front coilovers, get an alignment as i've yet to do so lol,. and install some other goodies that i got for it. Moving into a place in july with a garage so hopefully ill really get some tinkering done. I've really been impresssed on how it drives on and off the road, The goal has always been to build a rig that can drive out to the trails and hang with the big boys and go just about anywhere but hold up to the abuse and be able to drive me how ever far i gotta drive to get home. It's not exactly where i want it but its getting closer!

Going to Windrock mid june for GSMTR and got a list together of what i need to do. i have 3 days to get it ready to go for it and then im leaving for windrock, Typical last minute prep for me, well see how much of this list i get done.
- Finish rear cage and rear bumper
- Rear Bump stops, Rear fender well isn't ideal
- Install new front driveshaft w/ driveflanges
- Figure out wiring for winch as i might of fried it at windrock my last trip.
- New tail lights (i might leave the broken ones in, it seems to be a trend with me...)
- Mount up some new 40s on the beadlocks. my 39s are blad, and don't want to wheel on 37" ko2 lol
- Reseal rear transfer case (also need to install new HD shift detent springs and balls)

If i have time I'd like to get the following done
- New front coil overs installed
- Radio/Speakers
- Rear disconnect (Front digs FTW)
- Body needs some trimming around the cage cross-through tube
- Fridge mount and wiring
- Have some interior lights to install
- Rear tailgate cable installed

The build is looking great. One comment; that truss, on the rear, isnt doing much for axle strength. Not sure if yota axles are common to bend, but that truss doesnt prevent bending, since it is only on the outside. Putting a vertical plate between it and the axle, would go a long way for strength.

The build is looking great. One comment; that truss, on the rear, isnt doing much for axle strength. Not sure if yota axles are common to bend, but that truss doesnt prevent bending, since it is only on the outside. Putting a vertical plate between it and the axle, would go a long way for strength.
Thanks i appreciate it! I agree with you there strength wise, more just mounting points for the links. Its on the list of things to do but not gonna lie its not high up there. I think if i were jumping it I'm sure it would, but I haven't seen a 9.5" fzj80 axle bend, only seen the front 8" housings bend, our 80 series is about 7k lbs and on 37s for years now and its been wheeled hard but hasn't bent yet, at least i think it hasn't bent lol. I'm sure that'll change when my dad get the LS swap finished

Back