Tools and spares for the trail

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
Just wondering, who carries what? Does any one "team up" with a buddy, as in I carry wrenches he carries the sockets and so on. I know I carry a lot with me, usually used by others. Just curious as to everyone else's game plan fr the trail.

I carry stuff that is particular to my vehcile, lke a D60 4 spade spanner hub socket that fits my front hubs. Other than those type of things, I have basic tools and CASH !!!! :D

JB

First and foremost, I carry a "birf bag", which containes everything needed to change a Birfield, including some things that are commonly forgotten: inner axle seal, a roll of paper towels, plastic bags, bungee cords (for the brake caliper), a motorcycle tie-down (you wrap it around the axle and frame before lifting the vehicle...a 60" highlift will barely lift my junk all the way up without it), and all the common tools needed.

other than that, a range of common metric & standard wrenches (Damn Toy-let's), an electrical emergency kit, a few screwdrivers, long side / short side inner axle shaft, and a tire plug kit. Then there's the usual stuff.. radiator hose, v-belts, some fluids, etc...

Sometimes when a bunch of FJ guys go out, someone even brings a spare third member.. Usually there's a spare lockout hub floating around, maybe even a knuckle or 2.

I pack lighter than some, but I'm on a weight crusade... Iv'e found that the guys who pack the most stuff usually are the ones needing it. ;)

I have a nother set of belts, U-joints, Rear drive shaft,spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, lots of nuts and bolts, and all fluids. Then the normal tools plus a 3/8 impact. I also try to carry tools and bolts that are comon for other rigs in case somone needs somthing.

I have a tool box mounted in the bed of the Cruiser I keep tools and spares in. I carry 2 spare Longfield birfs, short side front inner, long side front inner, hubs, rear shafts, a pinion, a couple of u-bolts, spring center pins, a box of misc hardware, a tire plug kit, etc. I also have the basic tools I need to make trail repairs, as well as gear oil, motor oil, ATF for power steering, brake fluid, grease, duct tape, electrical tape, lug wrench, etc. Then I have recovery gear - tree saver, 30' strap, pulley block, and gloves.

I also keep some stuff in the tool box on my tow rig. I have 2 more birfs, a complete third member, a pair of knuckles, and some leaf springs. I leave my full size spare with the truck also.

R.K.

Well, good to see I am not the only one. I carry a welder,can get 35' from rear of Jeep. extension also gets me 25' from jeep as a jumper cable, OBA(York) air tools drill and bits, , grinder, brush, impact, blow off tool, 50' air line, Vise hand tools wrenches, hammer screwdrivers, vice grips, impact sockets, axle sockets, pitman arm removal tool, tie rod seperater fork, ATV, JB weld( not John Barkley) tire plug kit, electric tape, wire, fuses, spare u joints, spare outer D60 stubs and u joints, spare lockouts, spare drag link, and tie rod. Spare heims,Spare front and rear drive shafts, assorted bolts, nuts and such, spare brake line, hydro lines for hydro assist, spare altenator, belts, Brake fluid, ATV,Water for radiator, Gear lube, Stop leak, motor oil, hand cleaner, Grease and grease gun, paper blue towels, brake cleaner, spare tire, ummmm total of four batteries, High lift, spare coil, and solenoid, Fire extinguisher, winch cable repair clamps, Duct tape, hose clamps, Spare metal for repairs. Hack saw, volt meter.

probaly more that doesn't come to mind right now. Will add later if it comes to me

upnover said:
Well, good to see I am not the only one. I carry a welder,can get 35' from rear of Jeep. extension also gets me 25' from jeep as a jumper cable, OBA(York) air tools drill and bits, , grinder, brush, impact, blow off tool, 50' air line, Vise hand tools wrenches, hammer screwdrivers, vice grips, impact sockets, axle sockets, pitman arm removal tool, tie rod seperater fork, ATV, JB weld( not John Barkley) tire plug kit, electric tape, wire, fuses, spare u joints, spare outer D60 stubs and u joints, spare lockouts, spare drag link, and tie rod. Spare heims,Spare front and rear drive shafts, assorted bolts, nuts and such, spare brake line, hydro lines for hydro assist, spare altenator, belts, Brake fluid, ATV,Water for radiator, Gear lube, Stop leak, motor oil, hand cleaner, Grease and grease gun, paper blue towels, brake cleaner, spare tire, ummmm total of four batteries, High lift, spare coil, and solenoid, Fire extinguisher, winch cable repair clamps, Duct tape, hose clamps, Spare metal for repairs. Hack saw, volt meter.

probaly more that doesn't come to mind right now. Will add later if it comes to me

Dude, you were a Boy Scout weren't you. :eek: How much does that thing weigh? Buuut, you can fix anything anywhere to keep on :driver:

upnover said:

WOW ! I found my 'new' wheelin buddy ! :)

That list ought to be a sticky. VERY impressive Chip ! Good show man !
JB

Ha! Who needs tools and spare parts when you build the rig right in the first place! (anyone who knows me will pick up on the sarchasm)

Matt *never gets his rig home in one piece under it's own power* Abbott

I carry so much why?? you may ask? Well, I have been held up on trails because someone broke and there wasn't a a fix. I have had to boorow parts to get home, So I carry what I have seen broke, what I have broke, and what I see as weak links. And yes, I am VERY HEAVY.

2 of my buddies in CORE have similar Jeeps and one carries an alt, the other a starter, one a CPU, the other front set of shafts, one the drive shafts, the other rear axle shafts. etc etc etc Works good for them.

JB

It makes a lot of sence to build a rig like someone else. So both do not have to carry the same stuff. The two guys I wheel most with are alike but different. All three different steering set ups, All three different wheel bases, one has 35 spline outers, all thee have different size tires, two are chevy one AMC, so at least an altenator will interchange. We should team up and decide who brings what tools. we all bring high lift, staps, clevis's, snatch block's. And, we have had to use em all at one time or another, be it for us or someone else.

I saw one fire extinguisher, but does everyone carry First Aid gear too? We carry a typical kit with a few added extras and we also have a paper with important information about Shawn and myself (emergency contact #s, etc.)

I am planning to take a class sometime soon. After we ended up having to carry a woman (who fell of a horse) back to her camp in Uwharrie last fall. Saw another fall off an ATV that same day... Luckily she was okay and the one we carried didn't worsen, but we had no real idea what to do if it had.

Cydney, that's an awesome Idea. I do carry a first aid kit with notmal stuff in it and some added, like Advils and Tylenol, bendril, ace bandages, and so on. I was CPR certified, but has lapsed, but I think I remember most things I was taught. It was different courses from Boy Scouts all the way up until 5 years ago. A book or a pamphlet on some "woods" type firstaid would be helpful I am sure.

Fire ext.. small 1st aid kit, JE reel cryo's Ujoints, hi lift, straps, ratchet straps,floor jack, CJ spindle socket, some fluids, a spare v belt and the local trail is less than 5 miles from my inlaws.....so that helps when wheeling local

Did anyone mention bailing wire ,3' zip ties ,and a roll of plumbers strap.All this is very handy also.

Back