Tow Rig Recommendation

cyoung

Looking for a tow rig that is more DD friendly and less miles than what I have. All I will tow is a 6k +/- pound camper 2-3 times a year but need to pull through the mountains (Black Mountain, Fancy Gap, etc.) without worrying if I'm gonna make it. What ever I get, I will drive more often than I do now so looking for something a little nicer and better MPG than what I have now which is a lower trim level 2500 2013 Yukon XL. It is great but is pretty bad on gas and has around 200k miles which makes me a bit uneasy on a long road trip. I have a $25k +/- budget. Suggestions?

Thanks!

I bet most here will be shouting Diesel. You don't say what engine you have, but I'm thinking the 5.3. I have a 2016 1500 4x4 with the 6.2. When I tom my heavy CJ, on a ton trailer, I'm looking at 6-7K lb. Even though my truck is a half ton, the 4x4 aides it. Haven't made Black mtn. but have pulled Fancy Gap [I-77] several times. It would be hard to ask for more, running an easy 60 mph up Fancy Gap, on cruise control. Mileage depends on the area traveled, but it gets Great mileage on the highway! Around town, average 15 mpg. Great brakes too, but per towing, I Do have brakes on both trailer axles. I have some concerns about the valve train, I did the Delete on the cylinder control. Hoping to spare any failures! And concerns about the 8 speed automatic. But it seems good now, with a new harness & a couple fluid changes/ up grades, that was under warranty.
If you have the 6.0 engine, yes it loves gas. But probably more reliable than the Duramax. Your 2500, outweighs my 1500, so that's a mileage difference right there. Seems it get's down to How often do you tow, & how fast you want to pull the hills, verses you day to day travels. And Budget!

Back