Tow Rig Tires Cooper vs Toyo

kcox506

Tax return season is coming and wife gave me permission on new truck tires. Read through multiple threads on here about tow rig tire options and associated experiences. I’ve narrowed it down to two, I feel like would be the best options. I am looking for up to date input and insight, since this will be the first set of tires I’ve had to buy since I bough the truck 3 years ago. I had Goodyear Wranger ATs w/ Kevlar put on and they have worn very well for the past ~60k miles. Moderate towing and daily driven. Lots of highway miles. However, not an aggressive bone in their body and have left me in pickles more than once. Looking for a better AT that is daily/towing safe.

I’m looking at Cooper AT3LT's and Toyo Open Country ATIII's. I am comparing warranties on Discount Tire Direct, if it matters.

Toyo claims a 50k mile warranty. Cooper with 60k. How critical is this? It's been brought up here and there and not sure if its something I really need to pay attention to.

Does anyone have any experience with the Toyo ATIII's? Newer tire, so not sure if there’s new problems with how they are made compared to ATII’s.

Open to other suggestions with other brands. Trying to make an educated buy. Right now my head leans towards Toyo. Thoughts? 2010 F250 5.4 SRW. Towing a 10k 16ft trailer. Approximately 4k load.

I had Goodyear All Terrain Adventure Kevlar on my truck. Then a set of Cooper AT3 XLT. Now another set of the Goodyear. Neither are great in mud. Both are fine in dirt or wet grass. The Goodyears are a little better in dirt, especially soft dirt. The Coopers have better traction on wet pavement. Overall I would consider them very comparable. The Coopers have better looking sidewall lugs, and that's half the battle.

I was pretty impressed with the Cooper ST Maxx tires I had and now running some factory blem AT3 XLTs. Took the Maxxes off ar just over 55k because they were a little loud and I already had the XLTs sitting in my shop. Could have probably gotten another 10k miles out of them. They didn't even have a mileage warranty on them. I always left them at 55psi even when I was towing my gooseneck trailer and they never felt squirrelly and wore great.

The XLTs have done really well so far too. I've got high hopes for them! They're rated at 60k and I don't think I'll have any problems getting more than that out of them. Traction has been great so far. I try not to put my heavy ass truck in places it shouldn't be and that helps. Wet pavement is no issue...it rains here a LOT.

As with anything that has tread over a ½" deep, they do like to chunk rocks, but it's nothing too terrible. It also helped that they were only 600 bucks for the set, however, I was planning on getting these tires anyway...that just sealed the deal!

Same question. Have a set of 265/70R17 E BFG ATs with about 65k on them. They're not to the wear bars yet, but considering something new for winter. Apparently Cooper makes about 14 different tread styles. Looking for snow/ice performance and gravel/washboard/etc. Might end up with another set of BFG...

I recently put the Toyo Open Country ATIII's on my truck. Too soon to report anything.

I've had the toyo at2's on a couple trucks and they do fantastic. I probably will try the 3's. They seem like a quality tire. If you get one of the xt sizes, they come with deeper tread and last considerably longer also...

I've got the AT3 XLT on my 2500. Only had them for around 15k miles. They ride quiet. They do pick up rocks but you are going to get that with the open thread. No real complaints.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

If you're a cheap bastige and like the look of newer wheels, find you some takeoffs from a 2019-2021 Superduty for $700-800, and sell your current wheel/tire combo for $200. Then you are $500-600 in and don't have to wait on Johnny Uggaduggalug to crossthread your nuts.

Here's 2 quick examples. I've seen better deals. Only downside is you are back riding on Goodyears again if that's something you don't want.
4 2019 F250 OEM Wheel/Tire Takeoffs - auto wheels & tires - by owner...
Ford f 250 18” wheels & tires - auto wheels & tires - by owner -...

18k miles on Toyo AT2 Extremes. Zero regrets. Big dumb dually sees a lot less time in 4wd. Had really good predictability in the snow, wear is really good for a 9000 truck that gets worked. I’ll guess I’ll see 60k + out of them if I keep the alignment, pressure and rotations in check.

I have had 2 sets of AT/II on 3500 dually. Towed, DD, on road, off road. They are awesome! My first tires I had on my old dually were master craft courser and they were phenomenal for a street tire they also offer a more aggressive A/T. As far as I know Mastercraft is a sub of Cooper so also a thought.

It is. Cooper makes several well known tire brands.

Thanks for all the input. Seems like there’s a lot of ATII/III positive results. Definitely will keep that in consideration.

If you're a cheap bastige and like the look of newer wheels, find you some takeoffs from a 2019-2021 Superduty for $700-800, and sell your current wheel/tire combo for $200. Then you are $500-600 in and don't have to wait on Johnny Uggaduggalug to crossthread your nuts.

Here's 2 quick examples. I've seen better deals. Only downside is you are back riding on Goodyears again if that's something you don't want.
4 2019 F250 OEM Wheel/Tire Takeoffs - auto wheels & tires - by owner...
Ford f 250 18” wheels & tires - auto wheels & tires - by owner -...

Interesting idea! Those wheels don’t look half bad either. I do like the stock ones on my 2010 (there’s another style offered my year that I find ugly), but switching to 18’s may look pretty nice by the looks of those. The Goodyears aren’t horrible, so it wouldn’t be the end of world if I found a deal like that.

A friend of mine bought my 08 F250 from me a few years, and took my advice on the takeoffs a few months ago. Here's a pic he sent me when he put em on.
IMG_20201204_092710.jpg

Pretty pleased with the Cooper ST(somethings) I put on the front of my dually a few years back... only about 12-15k on them, but no visible wear.
Will likely find a set for the rear shortly to replace the worn Kumho "mall-terrains"

EDIT: They are actually Cooper RTX's...

Last edited:
Probably the ST Maxx. They were pretty much designed for ¾ ton and dually trucks. I always found them very stable and sure footed. I'd probably have another set of them on the truck now had I not scored these AT3 XLTs.

The factory takeoff idea is an excellent one. Wear the tires out? Find another set of tires and rims, sell your old ones, and repeat. Or...do like I plan to and have a set of 8 lug 17, 18, and 20" rims. I figure that way I can cruise marketplace and Craigslist for some slightly used tires. The best part is, all three of my trucks are 8x6.5, so I can mix and match to suit me.

Btw, the 18" takeoffs are always a good idea. 18s generally have a MUCH higher load rating on the tires.

Btw, the 18" takeoffs are always a good idea. 18s generally have a MUCH higher load rating on the tires.
Good point. The 275/70R18s on the stock Ford 18s are rated at 3640lbs each.

Yokohama XAT is by far best tire I've ever ran. My 2wd suburban has done amazing with these tires. They're tough as you can expect, just my experience.

The Toyo MT I’ve ran on my F250 has always ended up chopping at some point. I’ve never ran Cooper tires but that’s probably next on the list.

I'd vote against the Cooper at this point, just on principle because of our f'n governor.

I took the advice on finding some newer take offs. Success! Beggars can’t be chooser though. Cooper Discoverer RTXs in the front and Continental Contitracs in the rear. Both 123/120S rated. All less than 20k on them on 2020 F250 Wheels. Came out far less than a new set of tires alone and looks way better.

Attachments

• IMG_6867.jpg
    IMG_6867.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_6868.jpg
    IMG_6868.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_6869.jpg
    IMG_6869.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 154
Back