Tow Rig Tires

awa0728

I know this has been discussed a lot but one more time...

What is the best overall tire for a tow rig that is my DD. I just purchased a 2002 Ford Excursion 4x4 V10. It currently has Firestone Steeltex A/T 265 75R 16 tires on it now. The tread still looks good so I can get some more miles out of them, they are kind of loud.

I don't know anything about these tires, are they ok to leave on it for towing?

A lot of people like the bridgestone dueler revos. I had the dueller AT HL on my Durango and they rode great very quiet, don't know anything about the revos.

If I decide to change tires I am thinking of going up to 285 75R 16s.

Thoughts, Opinions ???

Thanks

The steeltexs are oem replacements and are a good street tire for a tow rig. Ive got the dueler revo2's on my psd. They are nice, quiet ride, and can handle a little rough terrain but im finding they are wearing a bit faster than i would like. The bridgestone wilderness at's arent bad either. My next tire im probably going to go with the yoko geolander at2's or go back to an E rated. Your options get a little limited for e rated sidewalls.

They recalled those steeltex tires. Ford sent me a letter saying that if I went to any firestone dealer they would replace them free of charge with the new version. Maybe you can get free tires. :beer:

My tires are E-load the recall was only for the D-load, but it doesn't make me feel very good that the same tire, same size but just in a differant load rating was the one recalled. This one can't be much better.

Back