tow rig tires

MR. GADGET

So what tires to put on the tow rig?
Must be at least (Original Equipment Optional 265/70-17 Load Rating E )
Would move up in size to 275 or 285 max. But must be E rating.
Looking for a good AT or AS tire. Don't want a Mud tire or anything like that.
Jon

I've got the Unaroyal Laredo HD/H on my CTD. They are a great highway tire, Quiet and grippy on dry pavement or in the rain. They suck on grass and were not so good in the snow.

I just put on a used set of Firestone Steeltex's (from JFitch) and they're 100% better than the Bridgestone's A/T's I had (well, they were a little "slick")

Ride is greatly improved and they're not any noisier... :driver:

Caver Dave said:
I just put on a used set of Firestone Steeltex's (from JFitch) and they're 100% better than the Bridgestone's A/T's I had (well, they were a little "slick")
Ride is greatly improved and they're not any noisier... :driver:

The problem is none of them come in the size I need.
Jon

They don't meet your E rating criteria, but the BFG ATs have been a good tire so far. I've towed heavy several times and they have done very well.

I know the E rated tires are designed to run higher air pressure but most in that size range don't have an appreciably higher load rating than the D rated BFGs. Anyway, my 0.02

Goodyear Wrangler AT/S. Pretty much suck at everything besides miles. 64K on the current set that came OE on the truck.

They don't offer it in the load range you need, but the Wrangler with SilentArmor is available. You'll have to pay for it though!

maulcruiser said:
Goodyear Wrangler AT/S. Pretty much suck at everything besides miles. 64K on the current set that came OE on the truck.
They don't offer it in the load range you need, but the Wrangler with SilentArmor is available. You'll have to pay for it though!
Was looking at them they are high priced.
maybe some new sizes will be out soon in the 17".
J

you should be able to get some take off Michelins from the newer dodges pretty cheap!

NC_Mog said:
They don't meet your E rating criteria, but the BFG ATs have been a good tire so far. I've towed heavy several times and they have done very well.
I know the E rated tires are designed to run higher air pressure but most in that size range don't have an appreciably higher load rating than the D rated BFGs. Anyway, my 0.02

Just to raise up an old thread, just got off the phone a minute ago ordering my 265/75r16 BFG A/T KOs in load range E! (10 ply...) Not sure when they started marketing them but glad they did.

Best set of tires I have ever owned was my BFG A/Ts I had on my 72 GMC Jimmy. I will let you know impressions after they are installed tomorrow, and after pulling the camper to/from the beach this weekend!

Biggest reason I wanted to go with the BFG A/Ts is my past experience with them as good riding tire and great wear, plus I wanted a somewhat aggressive tread pattern for tooling around our property up in Caswell county. Last fall during hunting season I about got "stuck" trying to turn and it just plowed on straight with the street tires on my Excursion. Hoping the a/ts will help a little more. (Wasn't ready to do M/Ts heh)

Only option is black sidewall...which I prefer a nice RWL but to each his own. Hmm, maybe time to wheel the EX down at URE now, heh!

Sam

SHINTON said:
just got off the phone a minute ago ordering my 265/75r16 BFG A/T KOs in load range E! (10 ply...)

WHAT?!??!!? You mean you're giving up your passenger side 6" white-walls :lol:

Good for you. I was going to do that on my Excursion except at the time no one could get thier hands on them...the 265s or the 285s in Load E. They told me national backorder, I am glad they are back in stock.

Let me know how you like them.

I'm surprised nobody's said much about the Michelins.

Right now I've got Goodyear Wranglers on my F250, but will be putting the Michelin (MTX I think or LTX or something like that) on there. I know them when I see them...

Great tire, ran them for years on the work truck. Pricey, but worth every penny. Great on mileage, decent traction off the pavement, and are quiet...

Rob

rockcity said:
I'm surprised nobody's said much about the Michelins.
Right now I've got Goodyear Wranglers on my F250, but will be putting the Michelin (MTX I think or LTX or something like that) on there. I know them when I see them...
Great tire, ran them for years on the work truck. Pricey, but worth every penny. Great on mileage, decent traction off the pavement, and are quiet...
Rob

I have the LTX/ATS (?) 265-70-17 E's Michelins now on the truck had to replace one hit steel on the road and killed it but almost 50k miles and got maybe 20k left in them at 165$ each its the best tire I have run for towing.
Would like a little better traction in mud and snow but will do the same tire next time. They are quiet and ride/wear real good.
Jon

Back