towing question?

broncomania

i was wondering if my 91 f150 4x4 would tow a car trailer with my 79 bronco on it? my f150 has a 5spd tranny and the engine is a fuel injected 6cyl.
truck will have trailer brakes. i need to tow from nc to tn for a weekend.
thanks for all replies and info.

thats what i figured. i guess i need to borrow my buddies f250 power stroke.

I towed our ski-boat (4000 lbs), tandem axle trailer w/ surge brakes with my old 95 F150 4x4. I don't know about yours, but mine had the 4.9L inline six that was torquey as hell with the manual 5 spd tranny. I didn't have any towing problems, in fact, it did pretty good. Just relaying my experience, but of course the super duty would be better.

The 6cyl would be fine on flat land but if you start gettin up in the mountains of TN then your ganna want more power. I towed my old jeep with a half ton Hemi Ram in the mountains and I was still wishin I had lower gears. Plus..Towing with a Diesel is just soo much more fun.

SpydyrWyr said:
I towed our ski-boat (4000 lbs), tandem axle trailer w/ surge brakes with my old 95 F150 4x4. I don't know about yours, but mine had the 4.9L inline six that was torquey as hell with the manual 5 spd tranny. I didn't have any towing problems, in fact, it did pretty good. Just relaying my experience, but of course the super duty would be better.
Lot of difference in a ski boat and truck trailer.
To start I would think the truck (bronco) would run 5000Lbs + and trailer 1500 to 2000lb so that is about 7000 vs 4000 and the center of gravity is going to be a lot higher and handle a lot different.
I towed boats around 5000 lbs and then a friend ask me to tow his sail boat about the same weight and it towed so much different I thought it had to be 3-4k more then it was..
Jon

got it worked out guys, thanks im going with the power stroke.

Back