Toyota Monster Truck

gmentavlos

I am almost half way through this build. It has been going on for several years now (I keep running out of money). I hope to have this truck completed about a year from now. I thought I would post what I have done so far. This build includes the following:

1. 1991 Toyota body and frame

2. Rebuilt Cummins 4bt

3. C6 trans

4. Dana 300

5. Double tiangulated 4-link with subframe and skid plate

6. 16 inch Fox coilovers

7. Two steering Rockwells with Detriot Lockers

8. 49 inch Irocs with Custom H1 wheels

9. Tube Doors

10. Rock sliders

11. Snorkle

12. Pinion Brakes

13. Hydraulic Steering front and rear

14. Custom bumpers and roll cage

I will have pictures and more details soon.........

1991 Toyota Truck Stock in 1992

I have had this truck since new! This is what it looked like 18 years ago...

Attachments

• NC4x41.jpg
    NC4x41.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 4,010
After IFS and everything was removed, construction of the 4-link set up soon followed. Subframe was welded in. Then heim joint brackets were installed. PVC pipe was used for the mock up of the four-link bars.

Attachments

• NC4x42.JPG
    NC4x42.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 4,057
  • NC4x43.JPG
    NC4x43.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 3,843
A few more picks.... I used Ballistic Fab Heim Joints and Brackets. I bought all of the quarter inch DOM tubing from a steel yard in Charlotte, local to me.

Attachments

• NC4x44.JPG
    NC4x44.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 3,763
  • NC4x46.JPG
    NC4x46.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 3,757
Random Pics. Cummins Trans Adaptor Plate to C6. I still need a flex plate. Also, here are the brake drums I removed from My Rockwells. I will be using much lighter pinion brakes instead. As you can see, the brake drums are new. I bought two Rockwell steering axles new in the crate from a guy in Texas about 2 years ago.

Attachments

• NC4x48.JPG
    NC4x48.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 3,768
  • NC4x47.JPG
    NC4x47.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 3,783
I was wondering when you were going to start posting pics of this beast!!I bought your stock driveshafts from ya and could tell your truck didnt have many miles on it lol crazy build cant wait to see the finish product!

Nice build. Subscribed.

Will the C6 provide a good RPM range with those axles? The reason I ask is because I needed to go with an overdrive tranny to get my RPMs into a reasonable range for the highway use.

It will be slow! The only highway use it will see is on a trailor. I don't think it will be close to street legal when I'm done. I will give you a call Thursday if that is ok?

Here is my Cummins 4BT. After mock up, I plan on re-painting it.

Attachments

• NC4x49.JPG
    NC4x49.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 3,584
OK, here is the truck with the 22re in it. The ride height will be minus 3 inches when I get the Cummins in it and the suspension dialed in. Also note my custom tube doors and double kick out rock sliders!

Attachments

• NC4x450.JPG
    NC4x450.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 3,963
  • NC4x451.JPG
    NC4x451.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 4,051
For reference, the truck next to it is an F250 with 10 inches of lift on 38s

Here is my 22re that I removed from the truck. It is a low mileage engine. Someone got a killer deal on it. I sold it for 1,100.00 dollars on Craigs List.

Attachments

• NC4x452.JPG
    NC4x452.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 3,623
Notice the truck sitting on the floor in the back ground. This is how it currently sits. I had to take the suspension apart and put the truck on the ground to complete the engine swap. I hope to start back on the truck in October. I plan on installing the new drive train next! I had to take a break. I needed a new daily driver so I bought a 1993 XJ for 1,800.00 and I am currently working on it. It turned out to need more work than I expected...

OK, here is the truck with the 22re in it. The ride height will be minus 3 inches when I get the Cummins in it and the suspension dialed in. Also note my custom tube doors and double kick out rock sliders!

Well... Im not a fan of yotas... but I popped a chubby... Amazing truck.

Funny! I have an XJ too! I think they are the best SUVs for the money.

Oh yeah man, but this is by far the cleanest yota Ive ever seen with this kind of work done to it. Your XJ looks clean as hell too, but thats alot easier. Did you do the fab work on the yota yourself?

I do alot of it myself. I have a friend who is an excellent fabricator. He comes over from time to time to help me out. We work well together. The XJ has been a lot of work. I had to cut out floor boards and weld in new floor pans. I replaced the entire exhaust sytem, and many other parts. I am currently sanding down the body, I hope to drop it off at Maco on Friday.

I do alot of it myself. I have a friend who is an excellent fabricator. He comes over from time to time to help me out. We work well together. The XJ has been a lot of work. I had to cut out floor boards and weld in new floor pans. I replaced the entire exhaust sytem, and many other parts. I am currently sanding down the body, I hope to drop it off at Maco on Friday.

Nice, I heard they actually have great prices if you do all the prep work yourself... How true is that?

It will be slow! The only highway use it will see is on a trailor. I don't think it will be close to street legal when I'm done. I will give you a call Thursday if that is ok?

I look forward to meeting you. Give me a call and maybe we can get together and check out the rigs (I get mine home today).

Robert

Back