Tractor Hydraulic Question...

R Q

I have a chance to get a loader tractor that's been sitting and hasn't even been tried in 3 years. If it's not full of water and engine will turn, I want to get it removed without repairing it onsite but it has a front loader and an implement on the rear. I can detach the implement and load it with a forklift that's onsite. My question is, If I were to lift the loader with a forklift while pulling back on the wobble stick, would the bucket stay up once I remove the forklift and let the wobble stick go back to neutral position? Otherwise I'm dragging 7500 lbs on to a trailer dead weight almost.

Lift it, then chain it up. Might have to get creative on where to run chains or straps. Helped my neighbor move a dead dozer once, ran chains from the push arms up to the (full) ROPS.

Yea lift it and either chain it up or block it. Can use angle iron on the exposed piston to lock it up.

If it's an older tractor, could also turn the pto to work the hydraulics without running the tractor.

One thing to check, if it is an open station tractor and has a gearbox or transmission cover on top between your feet, I would recommend pulling that cover and checking to make sure its not full of water before running the machine for any extended period of time. Probably not a big deal if it was parked in a shed or barn but anything stored outside is hell on those shifter seals and gaskets. I have seen a couple with milky fluid in the trans or even slap full of water in one a buddy told me was going to be "free" when he got it. Nothing is free. :laughing:

One thing to check, if it is an open station tractor and has a gearbox or transmission cover on top between your feet, I would recommend pulling that cover and checking to make sure its not full of water before running the machine for any extended period of time. Probably not a big deal if it was parked in a shed or barn but anything stored outside is hell on those shifter seals and gaskets. I have seen a couple with milky fluid in the trans or even slap full of water in one a buddy told me was going to be "free" when he got it. Nothing is free. :laughing:
I'll check for water in all holes before moving forward at all. And I know about chaining up the loader, I had just never considered raising it and seeing if it would stay if I did it the way I mentioned. I know there's not a pump pushing fluid. I ran across this machine at a new supplier and they don't use it at all.

Back