Trail Closure Notice - Badin Lake OHV Trail Complex

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
Effective Immediately -

Dutch John Trail - Entire Trail Closed
Wolfs Den Trail - South End from 516 Intersection to the Falls Dam Intersection Closed

Contractors are currently constructing new sections of trail for reroutes on these trails. For the majority of September (approx. 2-3 weeks) these trails/trail sections will be closed. Trails will be reopened to traffic upon construction completion.

Feel free to post any questions here, and/or contact the Forest Service Office.

Please say they are making it harder

Please say they are making it harder
I agree, no concrete pavement and lane markers i hope.
Dutch John hillclimb has always been one of favorite places to ride.

I'm guessing that hill climb will be no more.....

To my knowledge the section of Dutch John they are rerouting is no where near the hill climb. On the opposite end of the trail to be exact. This is not to say there aren't other bigger issues on Dutch John, but the current work will not have an effect on the difficulty of the trail. We actually worked on the section that is getting rerouted earlier in the year on one of the workdays, so some of you may know exactly the area in question.

I'm fine with them being close like that, but they need enough flat ground on both sides to allow for run-up and landing room.

The last workday last month i ran into a couple of contracters that were wondering how to get a concrete truck up into Dutch John. I kinda laughed in their face not meaning to, but what did they expect. I found out from them that they are going to put a concrete bridge up on Dutch John. I told them to hire some of us with trucks / trailers and we could trailer in bags of concrete / water for them. Not too sure how that went over with them.

I wish I had been there for that, considering my family has been in the the the business of construction/pouring concrete for over 30 years. Presuming they were trying to get concrete to where the reroute is going you park the concrete truck as far into the wolfs den entrance on 516 that you can. Then take a compact track loader with the cement drum attachment and use it to haul the concrete down the trail. The cement drum can hold a yard of concrete, and being designed like it is allows for a much lower chance of spilling concrete going over the water bars (like you would if you just filled up a bucket).

Back