Trailer Brakes just quit...

Caver Dave

Just holdin' it down here in BFV
I've read several threads on trailer brakes, but other than adjusting them, haven't had the pleasure (right :mad: ) of digging into them.

Brakes worked fine last month on a trip to Windrocks. Hooked to my trash a few weeks ago, adjusted the controller per instructions, but couldn't get the controller to turn red. Seems the wiring is correct or the lights (green = good connection & amber) wouldn't come on at all. Call Tenkosha (Voyager, not prodigy) and the lady said to connect the controller output to a test light and then to ground, manually energize, if red = controller is good or yellow = controller is fried. So it turns red which is good news (didn't exactly *want* to spring for a new controller), but also sucks because that puts the issue in the brakes themselves...

I read the recap from SN's issues and had a few questions regarding brakes & magnets. The last time I attempted to fool with them, I had the controller adjusted out to the point that the tr. brakes were getting energized w/ ZERO input to the controller... I went back and could hear them humming. Any chance this is a filth/dirt/shavings issue? Grounding issue? Or did the magnets just suddenly take a dump? Other thing(s) to look for past the visual wiring inspection and ohming the magnets?

Will hook it up and drag it onto level ground once the wife is awake for a looksee.

I had the same issue. I thought it was a wiring issue, I rewired the whole trailor, replaced all the bulbs, replaced the brake light housing/bulbs, nothing.

What was wierd though, I hooked an ohm meter to the trailor prong to check the magnets and the resistance tested ok, but the brakes just didnt work. Finally, I gave up and just replaced the magnets and that solved it.

UPdate:

Double checked the wiring and didn't really find anything out of the ordinary. Replaced the crossover (wires run thru axle tube had no grommets) with no change in brakes... they have VERY LITTLE magnetism on the drum or anything else place near them... just a lot af hum. Getting 12.4VDC at each magnet. They were hitting *REAL* hard last time out, despite having the controller set as "soft" as possible.

Magnets ohm out at 4.3ohms each... Connected directly to 12V jumper battery and less magnetism than with controller feeding them... Sounds like the magnets took a dump? Anyone agree? (besides Jon? :D )

Back