trailer brakes

jeepyjman

I need the infinite wisdom of nc4x4 to talk some sense into me, I have a 12 foot long enclosed trailer that has tandem 3500 lb axles. The previous owner removed the brakes on passenger side and replaced them with idler hubs. The driver side hubs and brakes are damaged. So what would yall do? replace the left side with idler hubs for 100ish or replace all hubs and brake assemblies for 400ish? tow rig is 2017 f150 and 2000 f250. Brakes on both stop my 24 foot pontoon without brakes just fine. I know brakes on both axles are the better route just having a hard time pulling the trigger on the price tag.

I think you will be fine without brakes. But, one route would be to move one idler to the driver side and only set up one axle with brakes. That would be a cheaper way to get some braking without breaking the bank. Also, you might not need all new braking hubs and could just replace bearings and brake shoes.

The reason I need new hubs is the magnets on both of the lh brake assemblies fell off and ruined the drum. Currently nothing I have is usable in regards to the brakes.

But, one route would be to move one idler to the driver side and only set up one axle with brakes.

I would do this at a minimum, but personally I would put brakes back on all four wheels if I could afford it. I'd much rather have more brakes than less brakes.

Duane

Id sell it on craigslsit for more than a new one and then go buy a new one with good brakes and profit.
Thats the @jeepinmatt way

Id sell it on craigslsit for more than a new one and then go buy a new one with good brakes and profit.
Thats the @jeepinmatt way
tenor.png

I get the, you can't have enough brakes argument for sure. I just wonder how much weight is gonna end up in a 12' enclosed trailer. I would think that one set of brakes would be very sufficient. Yes..... both sets would be better.

I just wonder how much weight is gonna end up in a 12' enclosed trailer.

*I* would be the one who ends up overloading the piss out of it, probably by doing something I shouldn't. So I try to give my opinions based on that :lol:. Honestly I'm surprised it came with brakes on both axles from the factory.

Duane

*I* would be the one who ends up overloading the piss out of it, probably by doing something I shouldn't. So I try to give my opinions based on that :lol:. Honestly I'm surprised it came with brakes on both axles from the factory.

Duane
At least you're honest! Then don't be a cheapskate

Back