Trailer winch...

Jeffncs

Am I wasting my time with a 3500# winch on a trailer with a 5000# capacity? I won’t be pulling dead weight, just a disabled, but rolling vehicles.

I own a 3500# now that’s sitting on my garage floor waiting to go on something, but considering selling for a 4500# or larger...

Thoughts?

I used a 3500lb on my old trailer. I drug a 4 door sidekick with no rear axle onto the trailer with it. It didn't like it but it worked. Current trailer has my old Engo 10k on it.

before it died I had a 4500 lb winch that I used with a snatch block often. granted unless it was a small car it never liked the loads but as others stated just use it and then upgrade

Am I wasting my time with a 3500# winch on a trailer with a 5000# capacity? I won’t be pulling dead weight, just a disabled, but rolling vehicles.

I own a 3500# now that’s sitting on my garage floor waiting to go on something, but considering selling for a 4500# or larger...

Thoughts?

@Rox&Mud has one of the shitty little harbor freight atv winches on his trailer that works awesome. Dragged a carcass with no axles up on the trailer (had wood sleepers and a snatch block).

I may or may not have that same shitty 3500# HF winch on the garage floor... guy sold it to me for $75 (NIB) minus the line which is actually why he bought the winch to start.

I have since snagged a synthetic line. I’ll still need to come up with a battery and and mounting box for it and the solenoid pack. I’m into this little winch for $95.

This is my HF 3500lb setup. I bought their atv winch plate and thr cheapest reciever insert they had, welded them together, and had a reciever tube mount on my trailer. This gave you a clevis hook to hook a working winch on a vehicle too, or to double back to if using a snatch block.

20210411_121411.jpg

20210411_121415.jpg

what do most of you guys do for cable to the battery......or are you running a chargeable deep cycle on the tongue?

I have a set of 2/0 welding cable ran to the rear of my truck with an Anderson connector on them. The winch also has a connector. I made a short pigtail to reach the winch mount on the trailer. It has worked well for several years. Before I ran the cables it seemed like finding a good battery was the hardest part of trailer winching.

My winch is on a receiver cradle and I have used it many times from the rear of the truck too.

I also made up a set of jumper cables to plug into them. Works awesome jumping a junker on the trailer.

I have a set of 2/0 welding cable ran to the rear of my truck with an Anderson connector on them. The winch also has a connector. I made a short pigtail to reach the winch mount on the trailer. It has worked well for several years. Before I ran the cables it seemed like finding a good battery was the hardest part of trailer winching.

My winch is on a receiver cradle and I have used it many times from the rear of the truck too.

I also made up a set of jumper cables to plug into them. Works awesome jumping a junker on the trailer.
Cannot decide if i want permanent wires under my tow pig or a set capable of hooking up when needed. Considering a quick smaller set of cables and a deep cycle battery. Would actually try and match my camper unit. Would give me an excuse to keep it more current for dry camping.

Cannot decide if i want permanent wires under my tow pig or a set capable of hooking up when needed. Considering a quick smaller set of cables and a deep cycle battery. Would actually try and match my camper unit. Would give me an excuse to keep it more current for dry camping.
On my last tow vehicle I had a Anderson quick connect coming off the battery under the hood. Then I had a cable with connectors that would reach the trailer. Quick connect on the winch as well. Pop the hood and hook up the winch and was rolling.

I have a deep cycle battery with a solar charger on each trailer with an Anderson connector for the winch.

Duane

When I rewired the trailer in 2017 (pre-first Moab trip), I dropped a <$80 "Duracell deep-cycle from Sam's in it... SOB if that fawker doesn't stay charged for MONTHS between uses!
Can't decide if it's all the time spent using quality components (wire/connectors/logic) or the battery is that good? 🤣

Just need to install the Chiwanese "Albright"-style contactor I've had for a year (replacing what appears to be 4 Ford starter solenoids I got from @guffey24 about 18 years ago)... controlling the remnants of a 4k# "Northern Hydraulics" (rebadged/de-rated Ramsey REP8000) I've had for 20 years... I gotta get busy! 🙄

Back