Trails Near Cullowhee/ Western Carolina University

Jacob Hurley

I am looking for any help I can get finding trails near the WCU area. I managed to find a old form from 2010 that talked about the following trails:
Caney Fork
Moses Creek (Drove to start but not past the gate that was open)
Locust Creek Rd (Unsure on location)
Wayhutta(sp)? (Unsure on location)
pinhook (Unsure on location)
Cane Creek (Unsure on location)
Coppermine (Unsure on location)
Little Slickrock (Unsure on location)
Ruff Butt Rd (Unsure on location)

Someone said Caney Fork the one that goes up to "The Bald"? I know where Caney Fork is but don't know what turn off to head in the direction of "The Bald" is.

Would anyone have any ideas on locations for these trails, if they are open and how hard they are? I did go check out the beginning of Caney Fork(not closed) but only went a little bit before turning back once you reach the broken bridge. I did notice a rode that went to the left on Caney Fork and had a rocky start to it but wasn't sure where it went. Any info is appreciated. Thank you

Wayahuttah was open about six or seven weeks ago. It is limited to 64 in wide or smaller. You can get permits and directions at the Top Cat store. The trails are not hard to find. Just go to the end of Wayahuttah road.

I am going to be checking out Caney Fork Road Saturday and see what I can find, I also found Cane Creek on a map and appears to go into a Forest Service Road, so I will check that out as well.

Locust Creek is off of Old Cullowhee near 107. You have to drive for quite a bit to get to the offroad section. Moses Creek is off of Caney Fork Rd. I forgot exactly how to get to Rough Butt, but it was a pretty solid trail. I spent a lot of time on Moses and Locust Creek, but its been a long time since I was in the area. I cant remember which trail it was (Locust Creek???) that led to another paved road eventuallu. I believe Cane Creek, which is also off Old Cullowhee close to campus, has a split down the trails a ways where you can go straight or right. I havent gone up the right side very far, but it seemed more difficult than going straight.

Locust Creek is off of Old Cullowhee near 107. You have to drive for quite a bit to get to the offroad section. Moses Creek is off of Caney Fork Rd. I forgot exactly how to get to Rough Butt, but it was a pretty solid trail. I spent a lot of time on Moses and Locust Creek, but its been a long time since I was in the area. I cant remember which trail it was (Locust Creek???) that led to another paved road eventuallu. I believe Cane Creek, which is also off Old Cullowhee close to campus, has a split down the trails a ways where you can go straight or right. I havent gone up the right side very far, but it seemed more difficult than going straight.
Okay, I will check out locust creek, next weekend and Rough Butt road. My trip yesterday was very successful so will be posting some information here soon.

Caney Fork - (6 min drive from campus)
This trail starts at the end of Caney Fork Rd. (Goes into gravel and then across 2 bridges; after the second bridge, the trail starts). You will come across a bridge and then a large open area where you can camp off to the left. To the right is the trailhead (Old Forest Service Road). You go down that it makes a turn to the left, and then you are met with 2 options. A left turn or continue going straight. If you keep going straight, you get to a 'y'.

If you choose to keep going straight and get to the 'y' only a small obstacle, nothing crazy. You will see if you go to the right, there is a bridge. Pictures below. While I think a small ATV or side by side may be able to get across this bridge, a TJ or truck may have some issues. The boards going across the top of the bridge are rotted out, but the large ones underneath, about a foot in diameter, may be able to hold a vehicle if you put each tire on one of these. Personally, I wouldn't try it without a recovery vehicle and spotter. If you manage to get across the bridge, you can go straight or to the left. I have no clue where they end up or anything about them. If you go to the left of the bridge, the road goes up and then takes a right-hand turn, which then leads to a gate, sadly.

If you choose to take the left-hand turn rather than going straight, it is a very long drive without any obstacles, and just a bunch of small rocks and a couple river crossings. I had heard this road lead to 'The Bald' but was told it was gated off. I managed to find where the gate was, and it looks like someone took the gate off because only the posts were there. So if you want to go see 'The Bald,' it is open again. I couldn't go see it, as someone was either hunting or doing something and decided to park their truck in the middle of the road, and you couldn't get around it. I will be going to the end of this trail next week as well.

Coppermine Trail -
This trial can be found when taking a left on the Caney Fork trail. It starts at a old bridge but you can no longer do the trail unless your vehicle can fly. As the first half of the bridge is gone and gated off.

Ruff Butt Rd - (23 mins drive from campus)
This trail can be found right before the gravel part on the Caney Fork road. When you are on the Caney Fork road you will take a sharp left turn to get the the Gravel road for Caney Fork Rd. But if you keep going Straight rather than taking the left you will see a wooded sign that says Ruff Butt Rd. Follow this road until you see a dirt road and then you will be on the Forest Service Road. (rumored to be closed) Will be checking out next weekend as well.

Moses Creek - (12 min drive from campus) Splits off of Caney Fork Road.
Still need to actually go into the forest service road but I am aware of where they start. I does appear to be a seasonal road though. (Closed Dec. 15 - March 15)

Cane Creek - (8 mins from campus)
This trail starts at the end of Cane Creek Rd, and as you follow the trail, you get a couple choices. You can either take a right and do a river crossing where you get met with a 'y'. Or you can keep going straight.

If you do the river crossing and get to the 'y' you have 2 choices.
Go to the right were you do a shallow hill climb nothing crazy, to a turn around point.
Go to the left, were you get met with a nice size rock. I am lead to believe this rock is called Little Slickrock. I am unable to do this rock or at least in the rain I can't, but I am going to try again when it is dry. But lockers would be helpful (Something I do not have.) I do not know what is past this rock but I was told it meets back up with the main forest service road.
If you don't do the river crossing, you are met with some more trials on your right and left as you keep going down the main FS road. I didn't do the whole road but will be back later to see what else is towards the end if anything.

Locust Creek Rd - (10 mins from campus)
Found on the map will be looking at this following weekend.

pinhook - (45 mins from campus)
Much further away than the other roads, may check it out later or when headed in the direction.

Wayehutta - (16 mins from campus)
This is for ATV's and Four-wheelers only, Jeeps and trucks are not allowed.

This is a picture of the bridge at Caney Fork Rd. When you reach the 'y'.
jeep infrount of bridge.jpg

I remember that bridge on Caney Fork, it has definitely seen better days. Wish I could remember what the rest of the trail was like so I could say if it was even worth continuing. This is bringing back a ton of memories, spent a lot of time in the woods out there when I went to school.

I remember that bridge on Caney Fork, it has definitely seen better days. Wish I could remember what the rest of the trail was like so I could say if it was even worth continuing. This is bringing back a ton of memories, spent a lot of time in the woods out there when I went to school.
I imagine it has, I do think a Jeep could make it across I just don’t want to risk it. But could always park and walk the rest. I did hear someone else on a side by side on the other side and from what I could tell they went across the bridge and to the left.

Are these public roads or private property?

Back