Trak-lok (trash-lok?)

j.peter.b

I've been planning on installing a Powertrax No-Slip into my Dana 44 Trak-lok carrier. I had one person tell me how bad they are and the carrier's tendency to break. :eek:

Anyone had similar experiences with the Dana 44 trak-lok carrier? For reference, mine is under a '72 Scout with 3.54 gears.

The trac-loc does have a very poor reputation for both carrier strength as well as limited slip holding ability. As common as high ratio open carriers are for dana 44's I believe I would use one of them.
Be sure that you have a trac-loc, I have taken a couple of power locs out of Scout axles that had factory limited slips. They are very easy to rebuild and are one of the better limited slips available. It will have a 4 piniion/spider case verses a 2pinion/spider like the trash loc.
JB

I have never personally seen one break but it is possible. You basically have two options, either do what you're planning, or go for the full detroit. With the no-slip you have no setup cost, and the locker is cheaper. The Detroit is more expensive and you have to have the bearings pressed on and backlash reset. Put the no slip in, wheel it, and IF you break it then consider alternatives.

my .02
Kevin Watts

Gotta agree with Kevin. My 60 has a trash loc and I'm gonna run it till the back ordered Eaton E-locker comes in. Just run the no slip. I've never known of one of those carriers breaking, but anything is possible.
JB

Back