Transfercase fluid????

mphudak

What TC fluid do you use? Got an 04 Unlimited and the Manual says ATF +4, but I believe earlier TJ's used ATF +3. Any problems going to the +3? Also, any idea's where to find +4 other then the dealer? Local parts houses didn't have if nor did they know where (haven't checked w/Napa yet my local one is closed today)

I am using ATF+3 in my '00 Sport. IIRC from seeing other posts the ATF+4 is dealer only.

I think they want you to use the same as what's in the trans in case you lose a seal and it cross-contaminates with the tranny.

My NV241HD calls for Dexron ATF.. in a transfer case, I can't see it making a shit bit of difference.

ATF+4 is dealer only..

Rich said:
I think they want you to use the same as what's in the trans in case you lose a seal and it cross-contaminates with the tranny.

I don't believe that is correct. For my NV3550 I use Pennzoil Syncromesh and the NP231 uses ATF+3.

t-cases aren't too picky...('cept Atlas, and I understand they won't warranty one unless specific fluid is found it in)...

ATF+4 is just the latest and greatest...and that's why it's pricey and only at the dealer...

ATF+3 will work just fine in your situation...

Greg

Thanks for the info. I did the SYE w/the ATF 3 yesterday and got the ATF 4 from the dealer today (over $8 a quart) and will change it out this weekend. Can't wait until this stuff is mainstream-

Back