Triad NC to Lexington KY

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
Next week, will be making a family trip to Lexington KY; then on to Fort Knox.
Looking for input on the best route to get there. Really Ft Knox is the primary goal so we may bypass Lexington on the way and go there later.
By best, I mean the fastest - 4+ people in a Saturn including 18 m/o son. You dads know what I mean :beer:

Sicne we live in Lewisville (just outside Winston), By Google it looks liek a tie between 40 W to 75N, vs 77 N up through WV to 64 W and jog over that way.
Never been up the latter way... thoughts?
Or - is it feasible to cross-country directly from, say, Bristol over to Lexington?

RatLabGuy said:
Next week, will be making a family trip to Lexington KY; then on to Fort Knox.
Looking for input on the best route to get there. Really Ft Knox is the primary goal so we may bypass Lexington on the way and go there later.
By best, I mean the fastest - 4+ people in a Saturn including 18 m/o son. You dads know what I mean :beer:
Sicne we live in Lewisville (just outside Winston), By Google it looks liek a tie between 40 W to 75N, vs 77 N up through WV to 64 W and jog over that way.
Never been up the latter way... thoughts?
Or - is it feasible to cross-country directly from, say, Bristol over to Lexington?

Either way is ok. If you go through WV you'll have to pay 3 tolls, I can't remember how much for cars, 1.25?. I like the WV way better myself, it's less boring IMO. Go there one way come back the other.

77=>64 is faster IMO. As mentioned there are 3 tolls of $1.25 each.

77/64 nice road, fairly scienic, yes, you will pay 3 tolls, $1.25 each on WV Turnpike. hang a left at Charelston WV and yer good, there is some construction in KY between Grayson and Lexington (repaving) was just thru there 2 weeks ago.

How much time are we talkin'?
And w/ gas at 2.75/gallon.... another $4 isn't going to even be a drop in the bucket.

With and 18 month old and I assume at least one other child and of course the wife, yer talking about 8-10 hours.

My trip was with a 2.5 year old, and the wife, took us 12 hours to get from Clayton NC to Shelbyville Ky On a Sunday, Granted each gas stop was AT LEAST 30-45 minutes not to mention potty breaks and the need to stretch (6'5" in a Honda Accord) once in awhile.

Well we only have 1 child... but at least one other extneded family member will be riding with us. I'm hoping to God it isn't Wify's dad b/c that'd add a good 50% to the perceived time, hahaha.

Gas, Wytheville Va Flying J, and there is another Flying J outside Grayson Ky.

For God sake don't get stuck buying gas at Tamarack ( Tourist trap on the WV Turnpike, usually $.10-$.15 more expensive than anywhere else, they were at $3.05 when we went thru, when the highest anywhere else was $2.91

I like stopping at Flying J truck stops, mostly because the fuel prices are usually a little cheaper than most places.

The Flying J was 2.53 on Thursday and 2.64 on Sunday when I came back through. The cheapest I saw between Charleston and VA was 2.99.

Back