Troubleshooting Badlands 12k winch

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
Badlands 12k, been sitting on the truck a long time unused. In fact never used aside from spoolinga few times during install.

Pressing control buttons I can hear the solenoids click, no motor movement. Same for both directions. Contacts on the drum get really hot.
This is one of the 4-wire style w/ ground on bottom, 3 on top. Tried doing a direct jumper test (akin to below) with ground on battery, positive on one and jumper other two... no response at all. Not even a spark.

I assume something is going on with the contacts inside the motor.
Any links on how to disassemble this thing or additional info? I can't find a lot of socumentation outside of basic wiring etc.

Can you try to spin the drum a little while activating it? Could be a bad spot on the motor where the contacts have sat.

Can you try to spin the drum a little while activating it? Could be a bad spot on the motor where the contacts have sat.
Nope.

However in trying this, one time it just randomly worked (spooling out), then when I tried the other way, just clicks, then doesn't work going out again either.

Aren’t those disposable winches anyway? :flipoff2:
yes, but getting it off of the bumper to replace it is a major profanity kind of job. I'd rather spend a lot of time waffling around and asking questions about how to fix it than actually do that much physical work.

yes, but getting it off of the bumper to replace it is a major profanity kind of job. I'd rather spend a lot of time waffling around and asking questions about how to fix it than actually do that much physical work.
Now I completely understand and sympathize :rockon:

Still no luck.
I know this is a dumb question... but how do you get the motor casing apart? I pulled the two long bolts on the end, but can't figure out how to get the cover apart

Back