Tru Trac in Tacoma 3rd questions

ponykilr

Old Crow
To replace the diff only in a Toyota 3rd...

Once you press on the old (or new) carrier bearings, the only other thing that has to be done is to set the backlash? I assume the pinion won’t need to be touched since the depth shouldn’t need to be changed?

These use threaded adjusters right? So setting backlash should be fairly simple. How much preload on the bearing is required?

Correct. Pinion depth won't change.
The way I do Toy thirds is adjust the left adjuster to the point of zero BL, but you can still spin the carrier. Then crank the right side adjuster to gain preload and BL. I don't have a torque spec, just put all my weight into it.

Thank you Jody :)

The way I do Toy thirds is adjust the left adjuster to the point of zero BL, but you can still spin the carrier. Then crank the right side adjuster to gain preload and BL. I don't have a torque spec, just put all my weight into it.

Does that method hold for other axles that utilize threaded adjusters?

Jody, if I make a tool for the side adjusters, how long should it be to get the proper preload?
Take a piece of flat stock, say 3-4" long. Weld a 1/2" socket to the middle, drill a couple holes the same distance apart as opposing holes in the adjuster. Run (2) 1/4" bolt s through with a nut to secure them.
Done.

Genius 👆🏻
Take a piece of flat stock, say 3-4" long. Weld a 1/2" socket to the middle, drill a couple holes the same distance apart as opposing holes in the adjuster. Run (2) 1/4" bolt s through with a nut to secure them.
Done.

Back