Truck with hill climbing pwr?

hunterdan

Thanks to Matt for a deal on his dad's truck. It's been and still is great but...
I am moving to an area where I'd like more hill climbing pwr. The 5.0 F150 does fine but it's either struggle in low rpm up hills or floor it and risk blowing it.
The hills and grades where I'm looking to move are sometimes 15-20 miles of 5-12 degrees. I need something with big brakes and lots of easy torque. I've never had a modern diesel just an 80's GMC 6.2.
Is a diesel what I need for don't think about it hill climbing and better braking etc.
Thanks

*I did see lots of Duramax trucks up there including state and county trucks.

Last edited:
Diesel.

If you want low drama, diesel is the way to go. That's why I love mine. Tons of power without a bunch of noise. Always feels effortless, and delivers good fuel economy. But what's your budget? And do you need a 1500 or 2500/3500?

How much are you pulling/hauling?

If you're NOT and just running empty, I'd consider regearing and let that 5-oh sing
Just me and the truck. I just don't like the constant searching for the right amount of pedal.
If you want low drama, diesel is the way to go. That's why I love mine. Tons of power without a bunch of noise. Always feels effortless, and delivers good fuel economy. But what's your budget? And do you need a 1500 or 2500/3500?
Yes, low drama. The 5.0 in the f150 feels like it has to wind up to catch up with the pedal and when I get tired of the wait I end up wide open for a few seconds and back to blah mode.
As far as budget I'm looks no at 10-15. I won't be using a truck as a DD. I'm thinking of a sporty car for DD and for a truck ...anything that will get up and down the mountain easily. I don't care about modern conveniences. I'd be happy with an old square body if it had good brakes and power.

Just me and the truck. I just don't like the constant searching for the right amount of pedal.

Yes, low drama. The 5.0 in the f150 feels like it has to wind up to catch up with the pedal and when I get tired of the wait I end up wide open for a few seconds and back to blah mode.
As far as budget I'm looks no at 10-15. I won't be using a truck as a DD. I'm thinking of a sporty car for DD and for a truck ...anything that will get up and down the mountain easily. I don't care about modern conveniences. I'd be happy with an old square body if it had good brakes and power.
A tuned LBZ Duramax (2006-2007) would be hard to beat for your purposes. Still fairly simple, and the Allison/Duramax combo is excellent. Not sure if you can find them in the $10-15k price range though, but should be doable below $20k.

If you want low drama, diesel is the way to go.
Having owned 3, I will kindly disagree. Everydamnthing is $6000+ when it doesn't work the way it should.

You've just been very fortunate with yours 😇

@Jody Treadway chime in here 😎

3/4 ton Big block gas engine truck for as little as you sound like you are going to drive it and with your budget.

Last edited:
Having owned 3, I will kindly disagree. Everydamnthing is $6000+ when it doesn't work the way it should.

You've just been very fortunate with yours 😇

@Jody Treadway chime in here 😎
He’s talking about how it drives. Same reason I’m on my 4th diesel car and 6th diesel truck.

He’s talking about how it drives. Same reason I’m on my 4th diesel car and 6th diesel truck.
You're just savvy enough to get RID of them right before you have to pay the diesel tax 😇

I may try driving it in the mountains again before selling and trying the manual mode. Maybe that would do the trick and keep it from falling into a too high gear.

It’s probably just the trans finding any floating gears. Just doesn’t feel right but it works. I don’t like my 20’ Denali towing because I’m used to the low end grunt of the Cummins. It’s just a mental thing

I may try driving it in the mountains again before selling and trying the manual mode. Maybe that would do the trick and keep it from falling into a too high gear.
Probably not. I was never happy with that truck in the mountains. Like you said, it only makes power at a bazillion rpm’s and doesn’t have much in the middle.

Just throwing it out there, my 07 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2L/6L80 just friggin goes. Plenty of power so that it doesn't have to constantly gear down and scream. Also has a substantial tow rating as well. As the saying goes, I can pass everything but a gas station! Not sure of that combo came in a truck though.

Probably not. I was never happy with that truck in the mountains. Like you said, it only makes power at a bazillion rpm’s and doesn’t have much in the middle.
One other thing I saw on a YT video was to clear the computer and let it relearn shift points in a different landscape etc. I guess if I baby it on flat land it would make sense to clear it when I get there and reteach it. That is if the computers actually do learn new driving styles and demands

Just throwing it out there, my 07 Yukon XL Denali with the 6.2L/6L80 just friggin goes. Plenty of power so that it doesn't have to constantly gear down and scream. Also has a substantial tow rating as well. As the saying goes, I can pass everything but a gas station! Not sure of that combo came in a truck though.
You just don’t know what to compare it to lol 🖕🏼

All jokes aside. I’d prefer to tow with me 05 all day over my 20 model. Just wish the 05 was a xl for the wheelbase

Our '11 Denali XL was a blast in the mountains...repeated braking during very spirited driving was interesting...brakes got a little warm. (I was hanging it out pretty good around Banner Elk backroads)

All jokes aside. I’d prefer to tow with me 05 all day over my 20 model. Just wish the 05 was a xl for the wheelbase

My point of reference is a 16 chevy 2500 gasser, which was fine as well. But for all around comfort while still being able to tow well, the yukon is hard to beat imo.

Back