Trying to help my Dad in Fayetteville

pookie

Hey guys,

I'm a long time lurker (mostly because I moved to TN not long after joining) but I'm trying to help my dad out in Fayetteville. He has a 06 Nissan Frontier Nismo Edition 4x4 (which has pockets from the factory, I find that part a little wild) but he recently took it in for inspection and it failed. The tech told him the catalytic converters were bad. No biggie the truck is an 06 but has 130k+ miles on it.

So my dad took it to a shop he trusts and the guy said he could do it for $1500. I thought that seemed high for two cats. But upon looking the truck has 4 cats. The rear two look to be bolt one and I couldn't tell from a quick look how the front ones run. I called around and it seems like the cats are about $230 a piece with one being $340. So assuming the shop was going to replace all 4 cats the price seems about right.

Then it dawned on me to look at the inspection, we don't have inspections in TN so I didn't think of looking at that first. The inspection just says cats failed but doesn't say which ones of the 4.

So my questions are...

How do I tell which ones are bad?
It seems odd to me to replace all 4 if only 2 are bad, but is the common fix to replace all 4m
Is there a shop you guys recommend for inspections in Fayetteville?
Is there an exhaust shop you guys recommend in Fayetteville?

I'm just trying to help out my pops, he doesn't know much about cars and I don't want to see him get screwed over.

Thanks

If it failed for the cat or cats there is either a cel on or a visual problem. If it thas a cel they should be able to tell you which one is not performing right with a scanner.

You probably priced weld on and they probably priced oe or direct replacement. Does seem a bit high. Have you checked fuel trim to verify there's no engine performance issues? Are the oxygen sensors switching?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

This is why I hate Fayetteville. I can't remember for sure if they do inspections or not but I would recommend Wilson Off Road before any shop in Fayetteville. Keith and his crew will do your dad right, guaranteed.

Doh! Didn't even think to ask about the CEL. Turns out he's had one on for "awhile now" but hadn't got around to checking into. We went by and got it scanned today, its showing large vacuum leak in both sides. And a fuels system sensor error. The printout shows the top 4 things to check they are large vacuum leaks, fuel system fault ,ignition system, and cats. Actual codes are P0430, P0420, P0463.

I talked him in to letting me do a serpentine belt for him and am getting ready to knock that out. I'm going to look for any leaks while I am in there. I'll let you guys know how it goes. His current belt has an awful belt squeek going on.

Wilson of road is closed today and tomorrow, we're supposed to go home on Weds so if I can I'm going to run it by there for a second opinion.

Doh! Didn't even think to ask about the CEL. Turns out he's had one on for "awhile now" but hadn't got around to checking into. We went by and got it scanned today, its showing large vacuum leak in both sides. And a fuels system sensor error. The printout shows the top 4 things to check they are large vacuum leaks, fuel system fault ,ignition system, and cats. Actual codes are P0430, P0420, P0463.

I talked him in to letting me do a serpentine belt for him and am getting ready to knock that out. I'm going to look for any leaks while I am in there. I'll let you guys know how it goes. His current belt has an awful belt squeek going on.

Wilson of road is closed today and tomorrow, we're supposed to go home on Weds so if I can I'm going to run it by there for a second opinion.

Keep us posted. I'll be back in Fayetteville tomorrow so if you need anything let me know.

Back