Tube amount

neptco19

Getting ready to start building a tube chassis. Now my question is what is a general amount of tubing to buy to get started. The wheel base will be around 110". Would 200' be enough? 300'??

I have never even considered building a tube buggy, but 200' seems like an awful lot. Figure 15' front to back, about 4 times, 5' back and forth about 15 times, and a couple of triangulations at 8' feet about 8 times gives you 199'. So maybe 200' isn't too far off. It would probably be good to get a better plan with some lengths and measurements, get the exact quantity, and then add 15-20% for screwups, maybe more depending on experience/skill.

My pair a pennies.

a full tube chassis will EAT tube. you'll use 200' pretty easily

unless you are gettin really crazy with the tube work or think you might be wasting some tube...id say order about 8-10 sticks (usually 20-22 ft/stick)

this is give you plenty to get pretty much an entire chassis, granted you have planned ahead and are aiming for a generic 2-seater style set up

a full tube chassis will EAT tube. you'll use 200' pretty easily
ditto. Not trying to be a smart ass, but have you built anything like this before or used a bender very much? It takes a little getting used to. You will need at least 200 feet, If it makes much difference in price, I'd say get 300. You might also want to consider using a several diffenrent sizes, alot of the internal bracing an such does not have to be as big.

ditto. Not trying to be a smart ass, but have you built anything like this before or used a bender very much? It takes a little getting used to. You will need at least 200 feet, If it makes much difference in price, I'd say get 300. You might also want to consider using a several diffenrent sizes, alot of the internal bracing an such does not have to be as big.

Yeah I have, so I understand comp. what your saying. I just didnt want to f up and order 5 or 6 sticks extra than what I need. I realize theres gonna be some messed up bends or joints, but I dont want have a ton of extra tube laying around when its all done. I was planning on at least 5 sticks of 1.75x.180 wall for the main cage area and the bottom rails and then however much else in .120 wall.

Really depends what kind of chassis you are shooting for, ie: if you are building a smaller lightweight buggy 200' should be fine and dandy for structural integrity - on the other hand a heavier rig w/ big block and larger tires comes weight and weight needs more gusseting and structural support so 200' would be minimal. If youve never built a chassis before id shoot for 300'+ to factor in screwups, miscalcs and on the fly design changes.

i working on one right now that was half finished when i got it and it can easliy see 200 ft thats been used .... where are u gonna be building yours at

I've got ~right at 200' into mine, and the frame is still stock. I did mess up one 6' section, but wound up re-using most of that in little pieces.

To get an idea of where it all went-
http://www.rnrfab.com/rich/05build/05build.htm

Back