Tuffy Auto Service Charlotte NC

sam24th

Ok I just thought I'd post this up here to warn of anybody considering bringing their vehicle to Tuffy Auto Services on South Tryon Street. They did a HORRENDOUS job on my XJ.

Details: About 4 months ago I took my truck to Tuffy to have a bit of work done on it since I was working pretty much full time and didn't have time do some things. Well I took it there to get my fuel pump replaced and rear drum brakes replaced. They called me that same day saying the drums, bearing, shoes, and something else had to be replaced to do the brakes so I tell them to goahead and do it.

So they replaced the fuel pump with an Airtex one and and did my drum brakes and said the truck was ready to pickup. So I go to pick it up. The first thing I noticed was the horrible gas smell coming from the rear of the jeep and also how my truck would not rev above 3k rpm. So I take it back asking them wtf? They said they would fix it and look into it.

3 days later they say the truck is ready again. They replaced the fuel pump again with another one claiming it lost fuel pressure. So I go to pick it up and notice the guys put 237miles on my odometer and left me with an empty tank of gas. Well I was no big deal and drive off to fill her up. Thats when I noticed I had coolant leaking from the front of the engine and the engine wouldnt rev above 3k again. Also when I popped the hood I was missing all the bolts on my fuel rail aswell as the cap that goes on the fuel rail. Took it back again and tell them to fix it.

5 days later still no truck. Well finally on the 6th day I get a call telling me my truck is ready. They claim its the fuel pump again and replaced it with a bosche one and replaced the bolts on the fuel rail for me. I go to pick it up and notice they broke a switch on my dash and it still didn't rev above 3k rpm. At this point IM PISSED since I coulda fixed everything for a lot less and have been done with it in a day or 2. Now I have to borrow a truck from my workplace fro 2 weeks. So I talk to the mechanic in the shop named Nester. Well I complain to him about my truck not revving above 3k. Well he ask me if I installed my trans correctly (which I did 5 weeks earlier) I knew it wasnt the problem so I asked him what did he do to the truck? Well he gets mad at me and tells me to go fix my own damn truck. I don't know what kind of shop they are running but they should not be telling their customers to go fix their own trucks. So I say screw it Im taking my jeep home and fixing this shit myself.

Well next day while at home (took the day off) I did a once over of the truck. I noticed they cut my exhaust pipe off, apparently because the tailpipe was in the way of hte tank. (total BS cause I coulda dropped it myself) Everything seemed ok, so i started probing the electrical connectors. Well I finally got to the TPS and notice the voltage on it wasn't changing. Thats when I noticed someone had went and messed with it. So I took it off and sure enough they had broke my TPS sensor. Replaced it with a JY factory one and problem solved. Truck ran like a champ. I also fixed the coolant leak with a new hose. After driving for a couple of months my GF kept complaining fo a fuel smell so I dropped the gastank again. Thats when I noticed that the rear grommet and plug were all messed up. So went to the dealer and replaced it my self with the correct parts. My exhaust that they cut off fell off also in the middle of the road and the drum brakes are all warped also. They also only replaced the brake shoes as far as I can tell and I can tell. Looks to me like they gave me quite a ride. Below is a picture of the gastank with the messed up grommet. And a vid of the brake drums they supposedly replaced. I will NEVER take my truck or any vehicle to them again. Im out a total of $956 bucks for their repairs plus shit I had to fix because of their screwups.

NOTE: The grommet/tank vent in these pics originally were not melted and messed up the first time I dropped the tank. So I know this occured around the same time I had the work done on my truck which is why i believe it is their fault but I cannot say for sure if it was or not. Everything else was just a horrible experience.

ai903.photobucket.com_albums_ac233_85firebird_1029111227c.jpg

ai903.photobucket.com_albums_ac233_85firebird_1029111227a.jpg

ai903.photobucket.com_albums_ac233_85firebird_th_MVI_1231.jpg

What a bunch of hacks, I'm sorry for your wallet.
I always dread when I have something done to one of my vehicles by someone else, which is why it's rare. You just never know what your going to get unless you know the shop well.

If I were you I would demand a refund. IF they refuse contact one of the news channels and see if they will do a story on the garage. If they won't help an attorney should be the next step.

At the very least contact the BBB and let them know what happened.

You should take it out of his ass! Never get work done at those places, S. Tryon is ghetto anyway, well all of charlotte is ghetto for that matter,yo-yo.

I hope you paid with a credit card. You can at least dispute the charges and cause them some grief. You can also contact Action 9 and see if old Don will go after their ass.

I did file with the BBB, but to be honest I don't have time between work and college to start a lawsuit between them. I just want to warn anybody considering have their vehicle worked on there.

Yea man definitely file with the BBB. But dont stop there, you're in college as you stated. Idk what kinda money youre making at your job but as a fellow college student and working my a$$ of at the dealership I value my dollar I spend. Especially almost a grands worth of hard earned money!! And all those broken parts, half a$$ed jobs, and dont get me started on the exhaust!

Thats why they dont think twice about screwing you like that. They doubt you'll go through the legal hassle of dealing with them so they take you on as big of a ride they can. Help the next uninformed guy whos thinking about going there and do something about it and get yo $$ back.

Just my .02 cents.

If I were you I would demand a refund. IF they refuse contact one of the news channels and see if they will do a story on the garage. If they won't help an attorney should be the next step.

At the very least contact the BBB and let them know what happened.
X2, FOR SURE! If they know your going to Small Claims Court, you may get that refund. They don't have the time, or want to put up with the hassle, of Court, either! Might just need an Attorney, to send them a letter!

I used to sell auto parts to shops all over Charlotte. The good or even decent mechanics are rarely found at a chain store. Find you a good local shop where the owner works on cars himself and you will be miles ahead.

Just thought Id update this, apparently the way they did my exhaust is illegal in NC. Went to get it inspected today and it wouldnt pass inspection. So I called them up and told them they are gonna have to fix it now. Taking it there tomorrow to have it fixed, we will see how that goes.

You definitely need to call channel 9, channel 3, channel 36, your momma, his momma, any damn body that will listen!
The only way I'd take it back to let them fix the exhaust is if I were going to sit there and watch them do it right.

I forgot to update this, but after taking to the shop and threatening them with a call to the DMV they fixed up correctly right there and then. They had to pretty much get a catback system since no one carried the stock pipe. So the exhaust is good to go. I inspected the whole jeep thoroughly and nothing looks out of place. Just thought Id post that here. I still wouldnt recommend them though,

Back