ugh I hate posting asking for help...99 tj 3" lift

Papa_Jon

non speller
Ok so i put 3' springs on my TJ , everything went smooth, took less then 2 hours.
Now i got wandering steering . when driving 40mph plus it bounces from line to line
everything looks like its tight . no play in any of the steering ,ball joints, tie rod ends. still has steering dampener on it .
with 3" I read you don't have to change control arms or anything else .
I am thinking alignment ?

Yes, the lift changes the geometry of the Y-link steering, so you probably have too much toe-in.

Adding 3” in turn has changed all the front end geometry possibly. Did you change to a drop pitman arm? By not having adjustable arms you have caused the caster to go from positive to a negative caster possibly which will cause issues.

Because of the parallelogram geometry, caster has not changed. Do not use a drop pitman arm, as that will cause bumpsteer due to non parallel draglink and trackbar. Adjust the tie rod to get your toe right, and as long as you aren't getting driveline vibes, you should be good to go. If you have driveline vibes due to the pinion angle, changing that will change your caster, which starts the downhill spiral, at which point your best bet is a HP D30 or rotate the inner Cs.

Post a side view pick of your front springs.

Caster has definitely changed. Factory caster setting is around 6* IIRC. That gives you a solid feel in the wheel. When you lilft a TJ with the stock length arms, simple geometry changes the caster to the 3-4* range which will cause lighter feeling steering.
Toe-in also occurs when you lift a TJ unless you corrected that when you recentered the steering wheel via the drag link

A $10 angle meter from Lowe's and a tape measure will tell you everything you need to know.

only thing i changed was springs, everything is stock. I did however adjust steering wheel by drag link after a few test drives but did not
help

I bet it is a combo of toe in and also caster. Measure from the inside lip of the front wheels to one another. Then measure the same on the rear lip of the front wheel. The front should be 1/8" narrower than the rear. This is toe in.
i.e.: front 50.25" rear 50.75" this equals .5" toe in which is too much. Lengthen the tie rod until proper measurement is attained

I bet it is a combo of toe in and also caster. Measure from the inside lip of the front wheels to one another. Then measure the same on the rear lip of the front wheel. The front should be 1/8" narrower than the rear. This is toe in.
i.e.: front 50.25" rear 50.75" this equals .5" toe in which is too much. Lengthen the tie rod until proper measurement is attained
i miss my Toyota

it's easy. You need adjustable uppers. Then set caster. Went through this on my cherokee.

You may also be able to adjust caster with the eccentric bolt in the LCA axle mount, but not all of them have that capability.

What dumb ass engineer at Jeep thought it was a good idea to release an inverted Y steering system on a solid front axle?

Caster has definitely changed

<--------- this discussion is where my username came from back in the late 90's while swapping a 72 C-10 front clip onto my 62 stepside project

:rolleyes:

What size tire are you trying to run with a 3" lift?

Jeff i can take more in a few at shop

Attachments

• 20190127_143523.jpg
    20190127_143523.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 181
Jeff i can take more in a few at shop

Rotate the top of the axle back or the bottom forward until the springs are pretty well straight. Then go get the toe set or set it yourself at 1/8 to 1/16 in at the front. I always got mine close then drove to get the toe set. That should get you about right.

33s ..... posted pics on what have you done to rig today thread

I'm afraid you're gonna want adjustable control arms. I mean, unless you want to step BACK to 2" springs and do a 1-1/4" body.

Have you done a SYE?

aint possible with out adjustable arm is it?

You should have a cam adjustment on your lowers as @jeepinmatt stated. you *might get enough there. if not, check ebay for adjustable uppers.

It does have CAM on lower, ill take pics of where its at
no pics necessary, it's on the front at the lower control mount. Rotate both sides pushing the bottom of your axle forward, get your springs as straight as can, then go get the toe set.

I still have the same phone number. Give me a call if you want.

Back