Unable to post more than a few words at a time

deezul

We've been through this before many times, which is why I've had several screen names. If I attempt to post more than about one line, I get the fawking "you're not logged-on" bullshit, and when I log back in, it gives me a blank page. Of course, the post is then lost in cyberspace. If I start the thread, there's no problem it seems, but if it's a reply to another post, or an attempt to post in my own thread, it's always a headache. I can even edit the original post without being dumped, but not after the initial post.

No, there's nothing wrong with my browser or my computer, it occurs with IE, Firefox, AOL, with Vista, XP, ME, and 2000 on whichever computer I'm using.

AND THIS IS THE ONLY FAWKING FORUM WHERE THE PROBLEM OCCURS!

Well, first off, getting an attitude isn't going to make anyone want to help.

Second, 4500 members on here, several hundred posts a day, your the only one with this issue. I don't think the issue is the board, or we would have many more complaints.

I would look at things in common, are you running Norton Firewall on all the computers? We've had issues with it before. What is the same on all computers? Same ISP?

I'm well aware that no one else is complaining about this effect, which is why I'm frustrated. Norton and McAfee crap were removed from all these machines on the first day of their operation. Three ISPs involved, one at home, one at the office, and one at the Blowing Rock location. I'm using a different ISP, different browser, and different computer at home than was used with the previous problems. I give up.

ok try this and i do not mean to be sarcastic. go to a freinds house and log in to your acct from his computer and see if it works.

I would make sure that you have all of the updated video driver and you may want reinstall them. also check that you have the lastest Jave install. Not sure if that has any thing to do with it but it would not hurt.

you can aslo down load this http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunning/main.aspx

and you can shut down apps one at a time to see if they are the problem.

After you un-installed norton did you delete your cookies and temp files and re-log back in?

We can also delete your account and let you re-create it, but that would be a last ditch effort, if you want that done, PM me. It could be a corrupted account, but no way of telling, from our end everything looks normal.

You might also want to set all your browser settings to the default settings. If you are getting that message about not being logged in it is because your browser settings are not allowing the cookie from the site to be set. So you need to make sure that you accept cookies from nc4x4.com

You guys are missing the point. Of the 5 computers, 3 are mine, 2 belong to someone else. Of mine, there are three computers, three different operating systems, two different browsers, the only things in common are Firefox, Ad-Aware, Avast on two, and Firefox, Ad-Aware, AVG on the third. At the top of the screen I'm still shown to be logged in, but I'm getting the "you're not logged in" dropdown when I click on "submit." Next page to follow -

One computer is in Blowing Rock on whatever the local ISP is, one is at home in Stepford... er, I mean Winston-Salem on Clearwire, and the other is in Charlottesville VA on RR. One OS is XP, one is ME, and one is Vista. I can go through the neighbors' wireless and the problem is still there. Norton/McAfee BS was removed and the OS updated before ever being put into service. The ME machine (333 mHz/1 gig ram) is the fastest internet machine and sees the fewest problems. Doesn't matter whether I log in through IE or AOL (neighbor's wireless) or RR, it still happens. Same thing on first attempt at this post: I'm logged in but I got the dreaded log-in message when "submit." is clicked. All browsers are set to dump all cookies/temp files/private info upon log-out or prompt to do so before closing.

PS: this is the XP machine

OK, this is the ME laptop that's usually on RR, but since I don't have RR in W-S, I using Firefox. The security settings on all are Medium High and don't present a problem to other boards. Go figure.

AOL USERS PROBLEMS
If you log on normally and get told that you are not logged in when you try to reply to a post, read this: If AOL users have 'Automatically remember my username and password' AND 'Browse this board with cookies,' they will not experience these problems.

If they do not have 'Automatically remember my username and password' set, they will get logged out by vBulletin's session validation process. This is because they are actually getting logged in again and again by their cookie.

This only applies to AOL users who use AOL's internal browser. If they open up Internet Explorer or Netscape, they don't go through AOL's multi-homed proxy.

This applies to any user who's accessing the site through a multi-homed proxy server. This includes WebTV users, many users accessing vBulletin sites from work, and users accessing vBulletin from educational institutions who use this technology.

ZONE ALARM USERS:
If you're using the latest version of Zone Alarm, turn OFF the cookie control as it won't allow you to stay logged in to the site, whatever your settings.

HOW TO CLEAR COOKIES
Here are the instructions for Internet Explorer 5 on Windows: Close all Internet Explorer windows. Click the "Start" button. Move up to 'Find' and click 'Files or Folders' from the menu that appears. In the new window that appears, in the "containing text" field, type in 'nc4x4.com' (without the quotes) In the "look in" box, type in 'C:\Windows\Cookies\' (without the quotes) and press 'Find Now'

After it has finished searching, highlight all files (click a file, then press CTRL+A) and delete them (press the "delete" key or SHIFT+DEL) Your cookies should now be removed. You may want to restart the computer and revisit the board to be sure.

Something else to try, when your going to our url, are you typing www.nc4x4.com or just nc4x4.com? Log out, restart your browser, and try just nc4x4.com. From my reading browsers treat cookies from these as two different cookies.

Also might try logging in, changing your password, logging out, restarting your browser and logging back in with your new password.

I spent about an hour this morning researching your issue, while it's an issue with other users on other boards, it's not a wide spread issue and vbulletin can't seem to duplicate it. General consensus is that it's an issue with how your stuff handles cookies. I know, 3 different computers, it doesn't make sense, but the fact that the cookie is what controls you staying logged in, maybe your getting a corrupt cookie everytime. Though I don't understand how, and why only you.

There's one thing in common... the loose nut behind the keyboard.

:flipoff2:

(Hope ya get it figgured out, CBH...)

First of all, I'm not using Zone Alarm, and I don't and wouldn't use AOL if it was the last browser on the planet, but I get the gist of the message. AOL is what's on the neighbor's wireless. I used it for the test - same deal.

Yes, I am figuring it out. WildChild has looked at it several times, got the guru to confirm what she suspects. The final parity bit sent by the server in the refresh interval that keeps you "locked in" is OK (parity) for download of information and poll acknowledgement. It only fails when I try to post in an existing thread. We just haven't got a handle on why this is occuring. I have no problem going from page to page, etc., as long as I don't try to open the reply window and click "submit" when this phenomenon is going on. The refresh parity is lost when I open the reply window, and only while the reply window is open. So, if I manage to "submit" before the next refresh, no problem, but if not, the page remains "logged in" by the indicator at the top of the page but the "lock-in" is false.

The problem appears to be at the gateway server, not the board provider, and doesn't always occur, so we think it's a particular gateway server. Anywho, we'll figger it awl out sumhow.

From WC to Rich:
....there's no wrench made that'll tighten this nut, Love, M

I just got "logged off" again, but this time it was while changing pages. Then when I logged back in and tried to edit the post, I got the "you ain't authorized to screw with the thread" message. We've discovered that the problem always happens when there's a particular gateway server in the path.

Whatever.

Bruce, I'm a little slow, I was commenting to Susan that this same issue happened once before with another member and we never figured it out. Just now realized it's you, different account. That explains a lot. LOL

So who's gateway is it and can you contact them? I'm assuming all 3 computers are in the same area?

Yep, it's me again. No, the computers don't have to be in the same area. Don't know yet whose server it might be but it's through Cisco, so it's probably leased. Doesn't look like it's passing the refresh or lock-in parity bit either way when in the reply window, so the board sees me as not logged in when the submit request is placed. Can't figure out what the reply window has to do with anything, but there it is. The guru has given up for the day. Maybe we'll get at it again Monday.

Bruce, just an FYI, we changed providers and servers since your last user ID. So that should rule out our provider.

I remember that, and after all the detective work, it doesn't seem to be a board problem from what we've so far been able to determine. It's looking like a combo of LegalNet protocols and a particular gateway server problem. The outgoing post window routine for this board does something that makes the particular gateway server and LegalNet combo not pass at least one side of the refresh exchange. Don't know yet which direction or if both ways are affected, and don't yet know if the LegalNet encryptor even has anything to do with it at all since it has to be enabled in order to function. I don't have it selected or enabled when I'm not conducting Lawhorne Group business.

Back