UNF Past Future Present

Jasper

I attended last nights meeting for Tread Lightly and as expected many other issues were brought up. I took the time to read JC's chronology of events of Uwharrie's history this morning and it was very interesting. And I'd like to add my own perspective.
There is an era of history I never hear discussed outside the local community. In the 1800's and prior to the Great Depression the land we know as the UNF was mostly privately owned by a handful of families that still live in this area. They were homesteaders and literally lived off the land. Not all the arch sites are native-american, many are the foundations and remnants of these early settlers. In the early 1900's and up to the Depression, these people who had little or no income could not afford the more onerous taxation. In lieu of taxes they ceded a lot of their lands to the federal government. Some say there was an agreement that once the taxes were paid the land would be returned. It did not turn out that way, obviously, and some of the older residents here still remember the anger felt by their grandparents and great-grandparents. And even they still have a distrust for the government. As the government took ownership it was land closed off as a wildlife preserve. The progressive era of Teddy Roosevelt. We have a neighbor that still remembers when her father and older brothers would line up at the gates to go hunting. The government would only open the land up once a year. Some locals still call it "the preserve."
AS to the future? If the past is any indicator nothing is guarateed. Administrations change. Congress changes. The USFS leadership changes. We are fortunate to have a District Ranger that honestly believes in the mission statement of multiple use. Believe me, she is not going to be here forever. In my past experience I have personally met District Rangers in the west that were indifferent to OHV, they didn't want the headache, and a couple that were just hostile to the off-road community. The forest was for "growing trees."
Then you have the environmentalists. They are always watching. I've seen them walking the trails and taking notes. They have no sympathy for us and OHV is the number one target. They will deal with equestrian community later.
Present and Future? I was first introduced to 4wheeling in the early 90's in CA. The California Assn of 4WD Clubs is an amazing organization. One of the comments I heard last night was how far behind we are... and it's true. I have been a club delegate and president several terms. CA4WD has been a model for many western states and the fight to keep trails open is constant. They lose some but they don't give up. They are a formidable organization and they're strength is the clubs.
I'll try to close this, didn't expect it would go this long.
If the organization is FoU or whatever group rises to the cause, no one individual can do it, or do it for very long. The club structure, Adopt a Trail program, and similar efforts are going to have the greatest impact. In the short and long term. The clubs have greater resources than an individual and the turn out for meetings, work days, etc, gets the USFS attention.
I'm done for now.

All very true. I had the chance years ago to stay with some people up there for a few weeks, and thet told / taught me alot. I remember a few of the past Rangers and you are very correct about having a great one right now, and she will not be here her entire rest of her carreer.

I really hope we can go forward with whatever will work, even though i left with more questions than answers, but it is the beginning of it.

And it was good talking to you yesterday.

Last edited:
I just want to add one more thing. The Adopt A Trail program for the clubs is significant. It's taking ownership. Don't wait for the USFS to give you instructions as to what they think needs to be done. The club should be taking inventory of their trail and telling the USFS what you want to do. They may veto it but it's your trail... You adopted it! Cleaning out drainage spots and repairing log crossings are no brainers. And I know picking-up trash, cleaning fire rings, etc, is the drudgery of it all, but thats all part of it. What I'm getting at is the clubs need to take the lead. The USFS doesn't have the budget recources (and they are getting smaller) nor the man power to inventory every item on each individual trail

I agree 100% with you, it is up to the adopt a trail program to start the movement forward. With FoU being in the infancy stage at the moment and I may be wrong with this but we really do not know to what extent they will be involved as of yet and it may take them some time to reach the point at which they feel comfortable. The clubs really truly have to take the bull by the horns here so to speak and wrestle this into submission, they can start by shutting down bypasses, cleaning out water turnouts, putting straw bails in place, and policing these camping areas on the trails.

Back