Updating and out dating of TVs

mbalbritton

#@$%!
So, are you expected to replace your TV every 6-8 years now because software and apps become dated and unsupported?

I have a Sony Android that seems to have been taken over by Google, and now it tells me I need to update my apps to the latest versions. Then when I go to the google store app it won’t load saying that I need to login to my google account. I go to my google account and I’m already logged in. I can’t log out to login in again. I reboot everything and the same viscous cycle continues.

My TV is about 7 years old now. Am I just outdated and being forced into a new TV? Is this typical?

We were just visiting my parents. Dad asked the wife to add paramount app to his Samsung TV. The app would not load because the TV was too old to support the app. Not that it hurt his feelings since he’s been wanting a new BIGGER TV, now he has an excuse to pull the trigger.

I had this issue, so got a roku device. Now I run all apps through that. The 'smart' TV is only good as long as its app is supported.
Hadn’t used or thought about Roku. Looks like it’s stand alone software that can bypass the need to use the tvs built in software to watch streaming services?

Another Roku user here. My parents smart tv got pretty dumb after a year or two, plugged in a Roku and taught my parents how to use it, been like that for years now. One of my first Roku's had to be replaced because it wasn't supported anymore, but that was years ago, and a Roku is cheaper to replace than a TV.

Duane

I bought a 65” Roku tv two weeks ago from Walmart for just a little over $300 bucks. TV’s have gotten pretty cheap compared to previous years.

I had this issue, so got a roku device. Now I run all apps through that. The 'smart' TV is only good as long as it's app is supported.
This.
I'm currently watching the Panasonic I got in 2010. It came w some "smart" features but we never used them, they were deprecated 7-8 years ago anyway.
We run everything through a Roku and other things via HDMI.

When I replace it I'll do the same, fuck all the built in smart shit.

HaveAlso ... Until you have the same problem with your car
think world cup GIF by ESPN México

Hhhhhmmmmm a FireRokuStick for your Tesla….

We have an apple tv plugged into our 65” Samsung. I like that I can use my phone as the remote for the apple tv.

We have an apple tv plugged into our 65” Samsung. I like that I can use my phone as the remote for the apple tv.
You can do that with a Roku too, also a Chromecast which I have on all my TVs.. The Chromecast let's you send anything you can get on the phone to the TV as well... Just gotta have a pretty robust network in the house or it'll big down.

There is so much crossover in the various systems that almost any of them can be made to fill one's needs.

Back when we had a TV, we just used a roku box with it. Haven't had a TV in the house in at least 5 years.

That’s a tempting idea!
No regrets here! We just didn't watch the TV enough to justify it. We still have a few streaming services that we watch on our phones or my tablet, just no TV in the house. Only one we have is in the school building so the wife can do lessons and such.

Ironically reading this as I watch MotoGP playing on my Smart TV via Apple AirPlay because there is no MotoGP app on the Vizio, and the built in Chromecast isn’t working today :rolleyes:

1725851012242.jpeg

But Roku and Amazon FireStick both have that option.

I use my laptop for everything we watch and just run it through a large diameter HDMI cable to the tv. The mouse connection works from across the room and a wireless keyboard if I want to search.

Back