UPNOVER II

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
Many of you know I am in the process of building, or rather I should say having rebuilt, and securing some new parts for my new trail Jeep. This too seems to be somewhat of a stimulus build as I have tried to get parts and so on from several of the local businesses. And I have also been happy to supply some others with parts from my original UPNOVER Jeep.
The Jeep I am getting rebuilt is an 1987 Jeep YJ(yes, I have sunk to the dark side of square headlight Jeeps!) Custom build only about a year ago by the well known Matt Cutler, who many of you have followed on his Copper buggy build. I figured who else better to git er done, than the man who once wheeled it.
When Matt posted it for sale, I wrote and said I wanted it, but as luck had it, I didn't have the funds. But,... The guy who traded for it, decided he didn't want it for what other reason. Matt had told him I wanted and well I got it.
Here it is on the way home from Denver
Photo015.jpg
It sat here on my truck for a good while, till I was able to get it back to Matt's place
Photo016.jpg
Photo017.jpg
I begin searching for parts. First was the engine, sorry no pics, but, I got it from site member and best friend David Minton
He decided to go with a 6.0 in his Jeep, I got his TBI 350.
Next was an auto. I bought a full size GMC Jimmy, and had the T350 rebuilt down in Cowpens NC by Cooks Racing Transmissions. Total cost was $320 including an 1800 stall converter! I have not run one of his trannys, but several friends have and all had good luck with them.
OK got to feed this thing, so I tried and tried to buy a used fuel cell, but, couldn't find one not in use.So I searched on line and found them priced from $209-$249 I found one on EBAY and bid on it, lost by $2.50! I got an email and said I had a second chance. So I got it for $150 plus shipping, total of $169.Here's the cell
RCI-2161A.jpg
Had to be able to shift the tranny and it already had a custom mount for an Art Carr, so I phone my good friends at RIDES and Brandon told me about a Winters Shifter...the folks who make the Art Carr!
Not sure if it's like this one, but I think it is
DSC05789.jpg
Next was what to do about the steering. Since I was going with the good stuff, I decided to go ahead and go full Hydro. The engine I bought already had a PSC pump on it with reservoir, and I had a single ended ram, I needed an Orbital control. Trying to spread my business around, I called my good friend Andy Zuber down at Chases's place ECGS. Andy took the time from his lunch and took my order! (never did say what he was having!) I made a mistake on the item number, and Andy promptly called me back for verification. So this is on it's way. Even came home to a PM from Andy with a tracking number. GREAT customer Service!
p-111.jpg
Special thanks to David Minton, who help(did most of the work) me take upnover apart.
I left there with a truck load of wheels, tires, engine and axles. The same day we also pulled his engine(my new one)
I went back the next day and had another truck load of parts, most of which have already left here to be had in other rigs.
I traded the engine from the Jimmy to My friends Rodney and Justin, who took the Jimmy apart. I think I owe Rodney LOL Justin is gonna use the engine!
Matt's gonna do the basics, install the engine, tranny and T case, I have to wire the TBI in, and plum it and some other stuff, but hope to have it done soon.
I will post more, as soon as I get them

It's cool to be square!:beer: Gonna be a sweet ride!

X2, welcome to the square cult. Should be a pretty sweet jeep.

Next was an auto. I bought a full size GMC Jimmy, and had the T350 rebuilt down in Cowpens NC by Cooks Racing Transmissions. Total cost was $320 including an 1800 stall converter! I have not run one of his trannys, but several friends have and all had good luck with them.
I run a trans built by Cook in my racer, no complaints here.

Got the pics fixed, issues on my part.
I can't wait to have it done. It's been since November trip to Harlan since I wheeled.
I took the old body and very twisted frame to the scrapper Tuesday, when it once sat at 6300 pounds, I only scrapped out 1200 pounds. Pretty good diet if I may say so.
Believe me, I didn't scrap anything that was still usable by me or someone else!

My plan is to ride it with the original paint scheme Matt had, but then I am thinking of changing it. I am thinking a tribute to two of my best friends who showcase red. I will become a member of the red wrangler club! On the hood where my old jeep said UPNOVER, this one will say UPNOVER II

And yes, gonna stay with leafs for now. Links will come in a different year, hopefully with ORI's too.

Specs include:
TBI Chevy 350
Turbo 350 trans
Atlas 4 speed
Dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear with 4.56:1 gears

About everything in the Jeep is custom

here's a pic of what is to come, or maybe should say re-come chip. this was the first time on a trailer for its maiden voyage last memorial day weekend to mountain city and the flats open; both on the same weekend. it was a great jeep, and will be again. super capable and very well protected. went up everything i had the balls to point it at. i hope you enjoy it when its done!

ai1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd489_mcutler1_146.jpg

ai1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd489_mcutler1_mtncity6.jpg

put 500 miles on the new speedo/odometer in 4 months (tore down in september). 90% of that on dirt.

uwharrie, mountain city (3), harlan, the flats (3-4?), and golden mountain park.:beer:

Chip, theres gonna be a surprise for you when it leaves there too..........

Cool Chip, maybe by the time you get it done I will actually to get back out on a trail with you.

Now James! Why would you want me to have to wait so long! And besides, you aren't that close to retirement age! LOL All the OT you work your mattresses are bound to be full of lumps by now!

here's a pic of what is to come, or maybe should say re-come chip. this was the first time on a trailer for its maiden voyage last memorial day weekend to mountain city and the flats open; both on the same weekend. it was a great jeep, and will be again. super capable and very well protected. went up everything i had the balls to point it at. i hope you enjoy it when its done!

Thanks for posting those pics Matt, I wasn't at Mountain City, but I was there the first time you brought it to the flats. I fell in love with that machine the first time I saw it. It'll be so nice to be able to ride sitting up and not leaned over for a change.
ai1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd489_mcutler1_146.jpg

ai1222.photobucket.com_albums_dd489_mcutler1_mtncity6.jpg

put 500 miles on the new speedo/odometer in 4 months (tore down in september). 90% of that on dirt.
uwharrie, mountain city (3), harlan, the flats (3-4?), and golden mountain park.:beer:
Chip, theres gonna be a surprise for you when it leaves there too..........

:confused::confused::confused::confused::popcorn:
X2....that is sweet jeep!!!even though it had trouble staying up with me @ golden mtn:flipoff2:

As I remember it, and maybe Matt will back me up I do think we were both following Matt, except for when you all lost me. Remember, that was right after I lost my wife Leslie!*still don't think I have been forgiven on that one.)

Yes I know a CJ grill and hood will work, as well as a TJ, but I have what I have and will use that until I can't. If it ain't broke, I won't fix it. Besides, I am gonna see how the dark side lives for a while! LOL

Tools, spare parts and stuff, will be changed some. I am not sure what all I will be deleting, but what I can't carry or won't carry on the trail, will be in a crash box on my truck. Over the years I have taken a lot of ribbing over how heavy I was and what all I carried on the trail. As I have often said, they didn't laugh when it was their butt I was saving. Matt made provisions for some stuff to be carried. It has mounts on the rear for spare drive shafts. He also made or had made(don't know which) tool boxes that fit on the rear fender wells. Like side boxes for a pick up, that rest on the side rail and go down to the floor pan, just not as long.
The Jeep is a three seater, and I want to keep it that way. Many times I wished I could have taken a third person with me. Now with more grand kids, The bus on Rockwell's keeps running through my head!
I have not turn a single wrench on this myself, so I haven't had a chance to see what all I will need to do to fit another battery in it(need two to use my Ready Welder with 24 volts.

Hoping to have this back this weekend. Then I can post some pics up of actual building. But to be honest, most of the "build" will be done. I will have to mount the orbital, fuel cell, instal the tranny shifter, plumb in the steering, and brakes. Wire the engine, shocks, Battery, Winch.
I need to make a place to put another battery. Been thinking of using two of the small gel cell batteries I got from caver Dave for use only with the Ready Welder. Not sure on that one yet though.
It's that time of year and I am SOOO ready to wheel!
Hoping the first trip out will be Windrock, of course, some testing at The Flats first

Tic Tok Tic Tok.....

Thanks Matt for posting those pics!
Done, nope, not yet, but getting there.
The Jeep is at a friends shop. He has been helping,(OK doing) the rest of the build. We have run into several snares.
First, when I went to get it from Matt, I already knew there was an issue with the transmission. The output shaft was twisted! We all couldn't believe it left the re-builders like that.So the first thing we had to do was remove the transmission to take it back to the builder. Once at the builders, I showed him, and he couldn't believe it left the shop like that either. He apologized, and within about 15 mins, he had it apart, and back together with a new shaft.
Once we got the trans back in, we noticed the Skid plate that Matt had build needed to be adjusted. Matt run a 2 speed Atlas, mine is a 4 speed, so, the rear half of the skid had to be cut off, and a new rear piece made.
After we put the skid back on, we then noticed that the exhaust I got with the engine wouldn't work, because of the skid, so, it's gonna have a new system put in this week.
The plan was to get all the hoses made on Friday. How'd that work out? "Not tooo goood"
Good Friday, and the hose place was closed. Hoping they will be open on Monday.
The engine is wired, and it will crank. I think I got a pretty good engine. When testing the wiring, we wanted to see if it would crank. Shot a small bit of starting fluid in the throttle body and turned it over. Ran for just a second. Now, I ask, when you don't have the oil sending unit in the engine, just how far will it squirt? Not for sure, but do know it will cover a 15' ceiling! And, what goes up, will come down. So, Chris, The Jeep and other parts of the shop got a oil shower. It made a mess, but I couldn't help it, I had to laugh!
Th fuel cell is in. Chris made some brackets to bolt it in, and a bottom so it would clear the bolts from the tranny cooler under the Jeep. Looks really sharp.
My Hi steer arms are going to have to be flipped around. Found out when it was on the ground, the tie rod hit.
Front shocks are on. Still have to make something to attach the rear shocks. Matt had them out boarded, but I can't. I am running a taller wider tire, and no room for the shocks, so they have to be in boarded.
Front brake lines are on, rear's are almost done.
Tranny shifter in in
Had a bent spring, that's been put in.
When I left it last,
still had to make the hydro hoses and install the orbital.
Run lines to steering cooler
Weld on the MUDPRO brackets for the ram
Finish welding the skid
Attach the Atlas shifters
Weld the spring perches on
Weld the traction bar on
Run the AN fittings to the fuel line.
Button up the dash
Top off all the fluids
I am sure I am forgetting something, but that's about it
I have a trip planned to Windrock this coming weekend, so pushing the clock.
I haven't took any oics except for the mishap with the oil, so they are.

Photo035.jpg

Photo036.jpg

Photo037.jpg

Jeep is looking good Chip... What a mess!!

Back