Ure workday 6/15

Jason W.

Dysfunctional Veteran
The next URE workday is 6/15, If you have time please come on out, log bridges to be fixed and I know sawmill is ready for trash pickup and check to make sure bypasses have not formed.
Hunt camp at 9 am
THANKS!

If you have time to volunteer please do, there is plenty to be done. I am going to be heading up a Daniel crew to fix some bypasses that need attention, we also need to get a few members on sawmill to do trash pick up, there are no other issues on the trail that I know of at this time.

Myself and many other club members have put a lot of effort into Sawmill and Daniel this year.. It has been brought to my attention the forest service is recognizing that we have taken charge of Daniel in the absence of the Carolina Jeepers. It has been thrown out there about CTB cosponsoring or totally sponsoring Daniel trail. We do have the man power and the presence to take care of this high use and high maintenance trail. If the opportunity is put out there I think we should consider sponsoring Daniel. Thoughts?

I want the club to have Daniel, most of the work done this year has been done with a CTB member there. Plus it will give me a good reason to go run Daniel every month.

I'm for it. But we may have to vote on it to make it official. I'm not sure though. John or James may be able to say for sure.

I have a lot going on and wasn't going to come but I can't think of anything that would make me feel better than getting out in the woods working with people that love the same thing! I'm gonna head down this evening after work. Anyone else going to be there today/tonight?

Oh and I'm on board with the club taking responsibility for Daniel. That's my favorite trail and I spend a lot of time on it almost weekly anyway.

Our crew went into Daniel heading for the downed oak tree , It was already cleared so we went right into fixing the bypasses below the first ledge. One block that we had done had been moved so we drug two logs back in it and filled it full of deadfall, it amazes me someone would bust their ass to move all of the old bypass just to get through there. We also stopped another below this one that was quickly starting to form. We then headed to sawmill and comensed trash pick up on our adopted CTB trail.

The recent storms have done some heavy erosion on the second ledge, It isn't so much a ledge as it is a 4 ft deep wash on the right side where you squeeze through, It is passible, I had to ride the wall hard on the left side.

There is a lot of work that needs to be tackled this winter when the trails are closed again as well. Snappy , thanks for the cordnation, and for everyone that came out I applaud you for busting youre ass for everyone that loves these trails.

Thank you to my crew, Chris Keziah, Flint Hollbrook, Thank you guys. Thanks to all CTB members that came out, JC, Phillip(77green machine). THANKS!

JC and Phillip, thank you for all youre work on the machinery, I hear the back hoe is abou t ready to go after some brake work!

If we take on Daniel we will need to address the erosion issues that begin with the runoff from the top of the hill where the rock challenges are located, We will need to use the back hoe to run and on contour swale along the bottom of the trail where it turns right to go up the hill after the switch back. We will also need a couple of diversions about half way up the steeper portions. This will not be easy to do. We will have to build a diversion perpendicular to contour to direct water into an on contour swale to be directed over the hill on the left side near the "by-pass" side. We cannot continue to allow runoff from the highest areas to continue to cascade down the slope and cross the trail above and below the ledges.

Back