USFS Trail Strategy Meeting Thursday December 11th 2014 1800-2000 hrs

krzyabncanuck

BLM HOTSHOT
Hey everyone. Like the title says the next Strategy Meeting is coming up in December and I would really like to see a lot of our folks show up and have a better representation of the OHV folks. Good time to meet the folks that run things there also and talk to them about our needs also and throw ideas around.

Thanks

Troy.. I will post details later.

Here is my letter.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416663606293.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416663606293.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 395
It says.

The meeting will be at :
The Garner Center
210 Burnett's Street,
Troy.NC, 27371

The meeting will go over the stuff from the last meeting and then will develop working working groups. It will focus on the nuts and bolts of the trail system. Discussions about what the UNF can realistically provide and sustain for the long term use of the public will be at the heart of these working groups.

If a person could only attend either this meeting or the rendezvous meeting, which one would be the most important to have the most OHV users present?

If a person could only attend either this meeting or the rendezvous meeting, which one would be the most important to have the most OHV users present?
If you want to commit more meetings that will have input on the ohv trail system, come the 11th. The rendezvous will still have the higher ups to hear what we have to say.

how did the meeting go?
very well, great turn out. I liked what I heard and through our "planning" and being proactive, the fs was impressed with the OHV group. nothing really new or earth shattering was covered. Highlights where as follows...
-education is key(idea of tread lightly class requirement for trail passes and reg trail passes to an id for illegal issues)
-seperation of ohv and bike and quads
-possible lake view loop trail
-offical turn outs on trail to help with off trail issues
-we where educated by Joel on some of the artifact issues
-idea of trail rotation- time to heal and fix major issues.

We will be going over more over the next 10-12 months. What did I forget?

No time right now for me to chat but.

Thanks for all that came out to participate. Now you can see the bigger picture as to why we do what we do out there on the workdays and its not that we just want to keep everyone busy with busy work.

For safety reasons the possibility of a set of trails for quads and motorcylces only

While I think it would be nice to have separate trails for each. I don't see them creating new trails for the ATV/Bikes. So would that mean losing access to an already very finite number of trails? Which would kind of suck for everybody.

While I think it would be nice to have separate trails for each. I don't see them creating new trails for the ATV/Bikes. So would that mean losing access to an already very finite number of trails? Which would kind of suck for everybody.
No... Would be a seperate area not used now... This is way off in the big picture if it does come around.

Snappy said:

very well, great turn out. I liked what I heard and through our "planning" and being proactive, the fs was impressed with the OHV group. nothing really new or earth shattering was covered. Highlights where as follows...
-education is key(idea of tread lightly class requirement for trail passes and reg trail passes to an id for illegal issues)

Does anybody know why this would be an issue, or why they aren't already doing this? I vacation at the outerbanks every year, and in order to get a vehicle beach pass, you must sit through a video that explains basic safety(involving the tides) and to watch out for restricted areas(Sea turtle, and bird nesting). (Not to mention that I pay something like $100 for a WEEK of driving on the beach) By doing this, it gives the park service some room to discipline - your state issued drivers license is tied to your pass, and they can revoke it at anytime. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, as I'm sure it does, but I've NEVER heard of anyone having their pass revoked - and even if it was, does the outpost have a list of people not to reissue passes to? I've always walked up to the counter, and said "I want an annual pass" they say "give me $30" and its a done deal. I know I'm not nearly as active as most on this forum, hell, I only got out to URE a few times last year, but I along with most, would be devastated to see the trails closed.

Tie the passes to a drivers license, make us watch a tread lightly video, and then actually enforce against the idiots dumping beer cans and trash out the window, those driving behind the guard rails, and making illegal bypasses. Let those of us who are responsible have some "civilian" authority against those who are not.

Biggest issue that i remember n my old age is the having a person there for just doing this. It has been talked about and will be delving into further about how to make something like this happen as far as having all of what you talked about happen. I know we have a meeting coming up here soon to dig further into trying to make something happen.

Back